Finally got one of the "biggies"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by medoraman, Dec 5, 2022.

1. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Another one of my side collections is coins from the Black Sea. I find the area fascinating in its mystique, being on the fringes of "civilization" in ancient times. As such, they frequently had different ways of doing things. Examples of this are Olbia cast dolphin and arrowhead money, Cherson pieces in the late Roman/Byzantine era, Ostrogothic 3rd century imitations from the Taman peninsula, etc. Well, one major hole I had was the huge cast Olbia pieces made mid 5th century. I was able to win one yesterday:

olbia.jpg

SKYTHIA. Olbia. Cast Ae (Circa 437-410 BC).

Obv: Facing gorgoneion.
    Rev: A - P - I - X.
    Eagle flying right, with wings spread and dolphin right in talons.

SNG BM Black Sea 379-84; Anokhin 168; HGC 3.2, 1881.

Condition: Very fine.

Weight: 94.33 g.
    Diameter: 67 mm.

Besides the view above the eagle carrying a dolphin doesn't seem too unusual until you look at the dimensions. 94.33 grams and 67mm. This is one of the largest coins ever made in antiquity. They come onto the market in spurts. There has been a good run of them lately, but then at times you cannot find one for a few years. I had enough waiting, getting outbid the last 3 times I went for one, but finally got one. Problem I have now is, like some of my Ptolemaic drachms, I do not have any way of storing this in a traditional 2x2 box!

Please post any other examples, or other interesting Black Sea related coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, you're gonna need a bigger boat. Er, box. :)

4. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

5. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

my largest stamped / hammered coin

[​IMG]
    Carthage
    201-175 BCE
    Æ 15 Shekels
    45 mm 7.5 mm thick. 102g
    Wreathed Tanit
    Horse Uraeus above.
    MAA 104 SNG Cop 400

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Olbia

[​IMG]
    Thrace Sarmatia - Olbia 5th C BCE AE Cast Dolphin 27mm 1.75g

[​IMG]
    Thrace - Olbius AE Dolphin money

[​IMG]
    Thrace - Olbius AE Dolphin money round ver

8. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

That is a "big" acquisition, @medoraman! The diameters and weights of your Olbia coin and @Alegandron's example from Carthage are impressive!

Here are a couple of Olbia dolphins to join @Alegandron's pod. The first has theta and Y on the back and the second has an intact pectoral fin and tail. They'll need to keep an eye out for @Mr.MonkeySwag96's and @medoraman's eagles!

upload_2022-12-6_22-49-24.png

upload_2022-12-6_22-53-4.png

Draft saved Draft deleted