Finally got a West Point Mint coin!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Apr 4, 2020.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

But it's not the one you're expecting!

I've wanted one of these for a while. The 1996W Dime was released in mint sets as a special bonus, and helped make the 1996 mint set one of the most popular in a long time. (The mint was using clever marketing techniques even decades ago). Unlike the more recent quarter, these were not released into circulation. It is expected that there is a very high survival rate from the original 1.45 million produced. This is the lowest mintage non-proof Roosevelt in the entire series. All of this has combined to make the 1996W dime one of the most popular modern US coins.

On top of all that... a very small percentage of these are found with prooflike surfaces. There have been 6714 graded by NGC. About 1% of these are designated as PL. Of those, only 11 have been graded as FT PL. The highest of these is 67 FT PL - so of course that's what I needed!

I saw a good sale on Ebay, and combined with an Ebay Bucks promotion I pulled the trigger and added this NGC MS-67 FT PL to my collection. The surfaces are very PL, bordering on DPL but not quite. This is my first W mint coin, and I'm very pleased to call it mine!

IMG_0290.JPG IMG_0292.JPG

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What is the grade for that one?
    I sent mine in a few years ago.
    1996w a.JPG 1996w b.JPG 1996w c.JPG

4. physics-fan3.14

ldhair likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Fun coin. It was smart for the mint to give it away with the sets. I bought 10 sets. I should probably dig them out and take a look.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Jason,

When I saw the title I said to myself, "since when did the Mint make Franklin's at West Point?"

All aboard the top pop express! Nice pickup!

7. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

The W quarters came out last year I was surprised to learn about the 96W dime. So in December, I bought a mint set with all the OGP including that dime for $19.50. Was pretty happy about it. I almost went with just the graded dime instead.

8. Michael Scarn

Michael Scarn Member

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

In 1996 the set was $8 from the mint. One of the few sets that actually increased in value over the years.

10. physics-fan3.14

tmoneyeagles likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted