Finally Found "My" Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Numisnewbiest, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I don't know how you real collectors do it, when I feel exhausted after searching for the only coin I'll ever have. Finally, after a lot of looking, comparing, researching, and drooling (drooling reserved for the ones I'll never have), I finally settled on a coin.

It's a Vespasian dupondius from 71 AD (RIC 266), and there were specific things I wanted that this coin has. First, it's very well-centered and the legends are complete, well-struck, and readable. I also wanted Vespasian's name spelled out completely rather than abbreviated. It also has a nice bold portrait, and the coin overall has great detail. Finally, it looks to me like this coin has never seen any harsh or extreme cleaning, smoothing, tooling, etc...it looks like a coin with a nice even patina and basically unmolested. Yes, that makes it look a bit chunky, but with the ultra smoothed extremely clean examples going for a fortune, I'm pretty happy with this one.

31720_31720_c.jpg

Vespasian Dupondius, 71 AD, 13.28g, 28mm, Obverse: IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG COS III, Radiate head right, Reverse: CONCORDIA AVGVSTI, Concordia seated left, holding patera and cornucopia, SC in exergue

galba68, Neal, Orfew and 34 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NicholasMaximus

NicholasMaximus Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, why is this particular coin the only one you will ever have ??

If you are interested enough to search for this one, why does your interest in collecting stop here? Not judging my any means, just curious if there is a special connection to this coin for you. It is a beautiful coin for sure.

4. Numisnewbiest

Vespasian is my favorite emperor - that's why a Vespasian coin was what I wanted. I wasn't looking for this specific Vespasian coin, other than the things I noted above that I wanted on it. This will be my only coin because of finances, not because of not seeing a million more that I want - and I'm okay with that.

Orfew, Restitutor, Justin Lee and 4 others like this.
  5. Numisnewbiest

Just a quick update regarding speed of service with this coin. I bought it from Kölner Münzkabinett on MA Shops two days ago, and it was shipped today, so I'm pretty pleased with their efficiency. No telling how long it will take to get here, but Kölner Münzkabinett definitely did their part.

Orfew and DonnaML like this.
  6. MasterVampire

MasterVampire Active Member

I like that one

7. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

8. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Congrats @Numisnewbiest, here's my first Roman AE - not in the same league as your good looking Vespasian, and still a favorite after 40+ years.
    First Roman AE.jpg Valerian I, Sestertius, 253-254, Rome
    Obv: IMP C P LIC VALERIANV PF AVG; Valerian I, laureate head right
    Rev: FELICITAS AVGG / S C, Felicitas standing left holding caduceus and cornucopia
    Size: 23.5-26.2mm 15.2g

Draft saved Draft deleted