Finally Found a 1939 Henning Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Apr 12, 2019.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Kevin Mader, Hookman and Stevearino like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

People just don't want to let these other dates go, and they are seldom up for sale. I am very lucky I found it.

There are a total of four (4) nickels on eBay right now, that are being called Henning Nickels. Just go there and search "Henning Nickel".

That's just the Murphy's Law of collecting...…..you can search and look for months/years. As soon as you buy something, there is always some that come up for sale, and most of the time less expensive.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

It seems that the 1944 no P is the most common. Maybe 1939 comes next but I don’t know. I looked at the other dates in my hoard but no luck there. I didn’t expect to find one; rare for sure. But grateful I have an oddity like this one. After collecting varieties and errors, this one fits in nicely. I wonder if we’ll ever know population sizes to determine scarcity. Seems doubtful.

Hookman and Stevearino like this.
  5. JCro57

I dont know if any error or variety can have an accurate production number

Hookman and Stevearino like this.
  6. Mark webster

Mark webster New Member

Any idea about this? 1946 nickel I posted on another forum and someone suggested it may be a henning nickel. The two bumps on the reverse above the dome you can actually physically feel with your finger. 4013DD8C-CD68-403A-B857-F260FFBE60FA.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Hi Mark, Welcome to Coin Talk
    I’m not sure about your nickel
    Others will find this post but more members will see your posts if you start a new thread. You’re ok here since the original thread is about Henning Nickels. We love new finds!

JCro57 and Kevin Mader like this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Obverse doesn't appear mushy enough. I would guess it's just a worn, heavily circulated 1946. Common.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  9. Kevin Mader

Hi Mark - can you get clearer pictures of your coin. Don't freehand your photos; use a heavy object to rest your phone on and steady your camera. We need to see if other diagnostics are available for confirmation.

JCro57 likes this.
  10. Jeffyjulsy!

Jeffyjulsy! New Member

I have a 1939 Henning Nickel ( edited: Read the rules, you must have 10 general posts to use classified forums. No B/S/T allowed except in thise forums and by the specific rules in the them )

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2020
  11. Silver Bull30

Silver Bull30 New Member

I need one of these too! If is one of my missing spots, I collect Jefferson's I especially love the war nickels, that 35% silver just makes SUCH a difference. Glad you found this beaut! It was in circulation for along time before someone "coin educated" to pick that baby out! Collect on my fellow collector!

JCro57 likes this.
  12. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

This post is so very interesting. Thanks!

JCro57 and Kevin Mader like this.
  13. JCro57

Nope

14. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Been saving all pre-60 Jeff's for 35 years - now it's time to look a little closer UGH.

(and probably ...

(note to self ; don't give self bad juju ) )

Kevin Mader likes this.
  15. Kevin Mader

Multiple years and different reverse dies. So take it slow and cross your toes!!

16. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Looks like someone tried to counterfeit a 1947 Henning Nickel. The weight was 4.97, so no deal. IMG_4424 (2).JPG IMG_4425 (2).JPG

Kentucky and LakeEffect like this.
  17. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Nice try with a hammer and a punch.
    Ok, not really a nice try, kinda bad try. ;)

Kentucky likes this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Why not believable "Never Say Never."

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have a bridge I would like to talk to you about... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted