Finally Found a 1939 Henning Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Apr 12, 2019.

1. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Well, today this has given me a challenge to dump out my 5gal bucket of Jeffersons and look at the dates and see what I have. Since I only put Jeffersons from 1964 and before in this bucket, this ought to be interesting. This is something I've never even searched for. Happy hunting!

Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Fortunately the 1939 is relatively common. When I went through all of mine,
    I found a couple with the "Reverse of 1938". (There's also a "Reverse of 1940".) There's a doubled die from that year with strong doubling in the letters of MONTICELLO. And the mushy detailed ones, you can check for a Henning. See earlier post about dot marker.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If Henning is still alive he would be at least in his mid nineties.

5. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

So, for the sake of not knowing what I've just posted, I marked them Hennings. So how can you tell a Henning from any other Jefferson nickel? And yes each one weighs 5.3-5.4grams

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. Michael K

Post #5 in this very thread.
    I sort of see the dot marker on your coins.

7. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

What's a dot marker?

8. Michael K

Got this photo from another site, the dot marker is interesting.
    [​IMG]

9. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Very interesting. I didn't know this. Is this dot marker only on the '44? or is it on all the Hennings' coins?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  10. Michael K

The article says that the dot marker is on the coins that DON'T have the
    looped R which is the main thing that people look for and is usually found on the 1944. So if you have a 1939 that you suspect is a Henning and does not have the looped R the dot marker is a sign that it is a "genuine" Henning.

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Hi JCro - I did. I sorted through all the suspected dates for the Henning nickels working backwards until I got to my 1939s. It's without a doubt a Henning (as denoted by the dot marker) and found in circulation. I look closer at the 1939's since I sort for the '38 and '40 reverses, so I have kept all the 1939's I've amassed since starting CRHing.

12. Kevin Mader

13. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

HaleiwaHI and Kevin Mader like this.
  14. Hookman

I see a dot on your coin, but it appears to be in the wrong place. From my perspective, the dot on your coin seems to be too far to the right.

I just edited this to clarify which coin I'm referring to. It is the 5th pic posted by HaleiwaHl in his post above.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  15. mullah

mullah Member

16. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Very informative. I see what you did there.

Looks like the real deal to me. What a find. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Congrats on a great and rare find.

Stevearino, Kevin Mader and Hookman like this.
  17. Michael K

I don't see the dot marker on the EBay coin, and it appears to be in very good condition. I'm not saying the dot isn't there, I just don't see it.

Kevin Mader and Hookman like this.
  18. Hookman

19. Hookman

There are a total of four (4) nickels on eBay right now, that are being called Henning Nickels. Just go there and search "Henning Nickel".

20. Kevin Mader

I took a look at the 1939 Henning listing on eBay and agree that it's a common 1939. The typical washed out look is missing as are the usual markers.

21. Kevin Mader

I would make a list of varieties that you might want to look for along with the Henning counterfeits. Lots of doubled dies and repositioned mintmarks and over mint marks to consider. Also, the short list of low mintage Jeffersons. I'm sure you have a few nice specimens to find in that bucket!

HaleiwaHI and Hookman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted