Finally....found 1950-D nickel in LOOMIS roll after 40 years of CRH

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by steve63, Mar 21, 2018.

1. steve63

steve63 Active Member

Hey All,

I just couldn't resist announcing to you all that after 40 years of coin roll hunting I finally found that elusive 1950-D nickel in a LOOMIS roll. I started a Jefferson nickel collection 40 years ago as a kid, and although I haven't continually coin roll hunted all that time I did start getting more aggressive with my hunting about 3 years ago. I was able to get the entire Jefferson folder filled from circulation except the 1950-D. I have to confess though that around 2016 I got sick of seeing that one empty hole and figured I would never find the 1950-D in circulation. So I relented on my commitment to keep the whole collection 100% with non purchased coins, and bought an uncirculated 1950-D to finish out the collection. Well now 2 years later I finally found the 1950-D so I'm pulling the purchased one out of my Whitman folder and putting the circulated one I just found in it's place, even though it's in worse condition than the unc one I bought.

I'm having a problem with my camera right now but if i can fix it I will post the picture of the one I found.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Can't wait to see a picture. I myself am missing the 39D and 50D from circulation. I doubt I will ever find one. :(

steve63 likes this.
  4. steve63

steve63 Active Member

Yeah I was pretty lucky with the 39-D and found it not too far into to my coin roll hunting hobby when I was much younger. But the 50-D has remained the stubborn hold out. I've heard it's one of the most hoarded US coins in history.

Also, I found quite a few additional good finds in the same batch of LOOMIS rolls where I found the 1950-D (a 1938-S, several silver war nickels and a much higher number of 1939-55 dated coins than usual within a single roll). So I think someone must have dumped a collection at a bank and somehow much of it went through the coin machine at the same time and ended up together in a small batch of LOOMIS rolls. It can't be a complete coincidence I found so much good stuff in a few LOOMIS rolls I picked up at the same time so there must have been a collection dump somewhere in the process.

Vince11229 and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Circulated 50-D's are FAR more rare than BU ones.

steve63 likes this.
  6. steve63

steve63 Active Member

Yeah, I've heard that. From the standpoint of wear, the one I found in circulation was in pretty good shape. I'm not an expert on grading but I'd say it was probably extra fine maybe even AU (which is why I believe it must have been part of a collection that got dumped at a bank and so it probably wasn't back in circulation very long). Even though this new 50-D does not show much of a problem with wear, it does have all kinds of ugly stains on it, so it's just not nearly as pretty as the one I bought 2 years ago, but I want to be able to say the collection is 100% non purchased so it's going to take the place of the bright BU I purchased even though it is stained quite a bit.

Vince11229 and TexAg like this.
  7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

The BU 50D is the perfect candidate for your US Type Set!

steve63 likes this.
  8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I found a nice VF+ '50-D in circulation back in 1964. I'm sure they were much "easier" in those days.

The coin financed several low grade key dates for my buffalo nickel collection.

steve63 likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Found one in circulation MANY years ago. Lost/destroyed in a fire.
    Subtract 1 from the population.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

Or not? How can you say for sure a hunk of cupronickel didn't survive in the muck?

11. Michael K

Was an electrical fire in the area where the coin was stored. It might be a melted glop.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Are we implying a 1950-D "substitute fuse" perhaps?

13. Michael K

No. Former owner was a fix it yourself guy and wired my sunroom with aluminum wiring which is explosive. It blew up in the winter (my coins were in that room) and the whole house burned down.

14. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Was he liable?

15. Michael K

Insurance paid for it, but I lost all my coins. Not a lot of value, but some sentimental stuff, a nice 1875 seated dime my grandfather gave me, etc.

16. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Not wanting to sidetrack, but aluminum wiring is not 'explosive'. Not slighting the fact that in can, and has caused fires, but I don't want to see folks panic about AL wiring. If you have some in your house, it is an easy correction to make it safe.

17. V. Kurt Bellman

The problem is that if and when connections become "loose", the high resistance connection creates far more heat than does copper wiring, yes?

I do know there are a few insurers who won't underwrite if it's present.

18. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

The problem was that when outlets, switches, and breaker boxes were installed, the electricians treated the Al like it was CU. The crimping and bending that they were accustomed to doing on CU wire caused resistance in the Al wiring, and it would heat up. Add in vibrations/movement (wear) from use, folks replacing fuses, switches, and outlets, and the resistance of the wiring because of the reduced size at bends, twists, etc., would cause overheating, and possible fire.

The fix is a pig-tail connector modification at all the junctions/connections.

Lots of folks are under the misconception that you can't get insurance, or the house needs to be completely re-wired if there is Al wiring. Both of those are untrue.

I was a home inspector for many years, and while I may be a bit rusty now, that's the basics of the issues with AL wiring. Yes, I would buy a house with AL wiring.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

I'd have trouble advising ANY younger person who works for a paycheck to buy ANY home. Apparently, our kids will live too "nomadic" a career for home ownership to even begin to be a decent idea for them. If they run their own business, and control their own destiny, fine. But not otherwise.

20. steve63

steve63 Active Member

Well I just wanted to come back and say that I found a second 1950-d nickel in another LOOMIS roll this past weekend. So it took 40 years to find my first one but only seven months to find my second! The first one I found last March was still high grade so I think it came from a collection dump. But the one I found this past weekend was pretty well worn which I believe is quite unusual since most 1950-D's were hoarded away in large quantities uncirculated so the number of well circulated 1950-D's is pretty low.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

At an auction in Ephrata, PA, last Saturday, two SOLID ROLLS, plus a mostly filled third one, of 1950-D nickels crossed the block.

Draft saved Draft deleted