Finally, first one added!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

My first Carthaginian silver!
    I'd been looking slowly looking for the one that was within my budget, but still a nice looking coin. With the 1/4 shekel being on the smaller side, that was the type that I was paying more attention to. I noticed that Savoca (London) had one listed in their recent auction about a week ago. I figured that the price would bump higher in the live auction and I wasn't able to participate live, so I wrote it off. A day later I was checking the results and it showed it didn't sell, so I reached out to them to see if it was available and purchasable and Philipp replied soon after with an invoice that I happily paid. Then 3 days later (super fast shipping from UK > USA!) it was in my hands and collection.

[​IMG]
    Zeugitania, Carthage, 2nd Punic War
    AR ¼ Shekel, Hannibal’s time in Italy
    Punic military mint in Campania (Capua) during Carthaginian occupation, Circa 216-211 BC

Obverse: Head of Tanit left, wreathed with grain, wearing necklace and pendant earring.
    Reverse: Free horse standing right on ground line, linear border.
    References: MMA 78, SNG Cop 335
    Size: 14mm, 1.67g
    Ex: Savoca Coin Auction, 3rd Silver, Lot #90 (9-15-2019)

I hope I'm lucky enough to maybe add another type (maybe this year still?)! Perhaps an elephant??? One can dream, right?!?

I'd love to see any other AR Carthaginian coins or coins that you didn't think you'd get, but somehow still got it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

This Punic Tet was struck in a military mint in Sicily for use in the 1st Punic War.

IMG_5920.JPG IMG_5919 (2).JPG IMG_5923.JPG

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

CONGRATS, @Justin Lee ! Great looking QuarterShek!

One of my many favorite Carthage silvers:
    upload_2019-9-22_14-48-50.png
    Carthage - Sicily AR Litra 4th C BCE 9.5mm 0.65g Palm Tree Horse Head SNG Cop 74 EE Clain-Safanelli RARE

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congrats, @Justin Lee !! There are many coins of Carthage I'd love to have... pretty much everything @Alegandron has :D.

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Entella. Punic issues
    c. 300-289 BCE; AR tetradrachm, 24 mm, 16.8 gm, 12h)
    Obv: head of Melquart-Herakles right, wearing lion skin
    Rev: head of horse left; astragalos (cut over poppy) to left, palm tree to right, Punic MHSBM (approximate meaning is "quaestors" or financial controllers) below
    Ref: Jenkins, Punic 366 (O115/R298), series 5b
    Ex Gorny & Mosch 138 (7 March 2005), lot 33

[​IMG]

ZEUGITANA, Carthage
    early 2nd century BCE
    AE 15-shekel, 45 mm, 95 gm
    Obv: wreathed head of Tanit left
    Rev: horse standing right, left foreleg up; solar disk with uraei above
    Ref: Alexandropoulos J (2000) Les monnaies de l'Afrique Antique, 103; Müller L (1861) Numismatique de L'Ancienne Afrique, 131; Luynes 3782; Jenkins GK and Lewis RB (1963) Carthaginian Gold and Electrum Coins, Royal Numismatic Society, London, pl. 28 12

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Ah yes, beautiful Punic coins everyone. Sadly still don't have any, but a Punic silver and Punic bronze are high on my wish list for 2020.

Justin Lee likes this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..very nice Justin:)

Justin Lee likes this.
  8. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Entella "the Camp" Ar Tetradrachm 350-320/315 B.C.
    Obv head of Arethusa left. rv. Horse standing right in front of palm tree. Jenkins 133 HGC 282 17.00 grms 25 mm siciliopunic2.jpg

9. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Thank you all for your support, well-wishing, and sharing of coins!

As always, I'm completely green with envy over your 15-shekel!

@Al Kowsky and @Terence Cheesman, you both have such high quality coins, I'm always completely in awe of your posts and contributions! Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you for your continued support!

@Sallent, here's to you finding the right Punic coins for your collection and budget in 2020!!
    [​IMG]

@Alegandron, Punic brother from another mother, I never tire of seeing the range of coins from your collection!

Thank you all!

Ryro and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted