Featured Finally finished my 1864 CSA denomination set

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by kSigSteve, Sep 26, 2019.

1. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I have been working on this set as a side for the last 4 years or so. This morning I finally picked up the final note which finished the set for me. It was the $500 note which has been the only empty sleeve the last 2 years.

It’s a denomination set of the last run of CSA notes from 1864.

$500 T64 (~154k printed)
    28731F31-8F26-4697-9D58-2BB6F0D3F199.jpeg

This $500 Confederate note has a pink web overprint and features a picture of General T.J. “Stonewall” Jackson in the lower right corner. Along the left side of the note is a picture of the Confederate flag and seal. This note was printed with pink and black ink. There is no design on the back.

$100 T65 (~964k printed)
    033D9823-548E-491A-AC77-7A308A2E647D.jpeg

This $100 Confederate note has a pink overprint and a picture of Lucy H. Pickens in the center. In the lower right corner is a picture of George W. Randolph. Along the left side of the note are two soldiers holding rifles. This note was printed with pink and black ink on plain paper. There is a blue web print on the back.

$50 T66 (~1.6 million printed)
    03CB4BE1-6670-483E-A900-4D07169E3197.jpeg

This $50 Confederate note has a picture of Jefferson Davis in the center. This note was printed with black ink and a pick overprint on the front and with blue ink on the back.

$20 T67 (~4.1 million printed)
    5059E4BA-2C69-4B6C-B0D6-9061C7FA1D0C.jpeg

This $20 Confederate note has a picture of the Tennessee State Capitol in the center with a pink overprint. In the lower right corner is a picture of Alexander H. Stephens. This note in particular has a double ratification error listing both six months and two years as redeemable dates. This note was printed on plain paper with pink and black ink on the front and blue ink on the back.

$10 T68 (~9 million printed)
    7DA065CE-1F38-4676-B2A6-100D0B57DCC4.jpeg

This $10 Confederate note has a pink overprint and a picture of men riding horses in the center. In the lower right corner of the note is a picture of R.M.T. Hunter. This note was printed on plain paper with pink and black ink on the front and blue ink on the back.

$5 T69 (~5.5 million printed)
    9B5F9736-AB11-4FA3-9A0A-08BEBFADD14D.jpeg

This $5 Confederate note has a pink overprint and a picture of the Virginia State Capitol in the center. In the lower right corner of the note is a picture of C.G. Memminger. This note was printed on plain paper with pink and black ink on the front and blue ink on the back.

$2 T70 (~944k printed)
    098CACA9-A2F2-428D-951D-1B651343EFEC.jpeg

This $2 Confederate note has a pink overprint and a picture of Judah P. Benjamin on the right side. This note was printed on plain paper with pink and black ink. There is no design on the back.

$1 T71 (~681k printed)
    299B11C7-E091-484A-B2A0-6BB136540278.jpeg

This $1 Confederate note has a pink overprint and a picture of Clement C. Clay in the center. This note was printed on plain paper with pink and black ink. There is no design on the back.

$0.50 T72 (~1.1 million printed)
    3F82F332-6CA3-4777-B494-E851078B1661.jpeg

This Fifity Cent Confederate note has a profile of Jefferson Davis in the center. This note was printed with black ink on pink paper. There is no design on the back.

It’s been a real fun set to assemble. Here is the group framed.

B689CE0F-ADBB-47B0-8687-71765D81875A.jpeg

Feel free to comment or share which note is your favorite. One day I will add the printed descriptions under each note but that will have to wait for another day.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

What a great set! I know you mentioned how many were printed, but how available are these, and how long did it take you to put it together? Printed descriptions under or next to each note would definitely be a great addition.

serafino and kSigSteve like this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Very nice display and collection. Congratulations.

kSigSteve likes this.
  5. James Shields

James Shields Active Member

Wonderful set, thanks for sharing.

kSigSteve likes this.
  6. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Thanks Paul. Not sure what the estimated survival numbers are.

I feel like most of them are pretty common. The $500 is the most sought after note given the larger denomination. The $1 note seems to be the hardest to get in decent condition as most survivors seem to be in rough shape. I think the $2 likely follows given its lower print run and being an odd denomination most collectors pick these up more often than the others. $5-$50 can be picked up for next to nothing.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Paul M. likes this.
  7. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Congrats, that's quite the set you have. Thanks for sharing with us and I hope to see more from you in the future.

kSigSteve likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A fantastic looking set. Well done!

kSigSteve likes this.
  9. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

10. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

Excellent set of notes - thanks for sharing!!

kSigSteve likes this.
  11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

That is one VERY impressive set.

kSigSteve likes this.
  12. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Here is some more information about the $500 note.

The $500 note is the only Confederate note to bear the CSA flag. It is the second flag of the Confederacy and also named the “stainless banner.”

The $500 note is also the first and only note that bears the seal of the Confederacy. The motto “Deo Vindice” translates from Latin to “(With) God (as) our defender/protector.” Interestingly enough in the same year was also the “Coinage Act of 1864” which added the motto “In God We Trust” to the 2 cent coin.

General “Stonewall” Jackson depicted in the lower right was honored on this note after passing from pneumonia 8 days after being shot in his right arm by his own men at the Battle of Chancellorsville. His arm was amputated and is buried 100 miles from where his body is buried in Lexington. Famous quote by Robert E. Lee after hearing of his injury “ He has lost his left arm but I have lost my right.”

It is also worth mentioning the total set face value of $688.50 would be approximately $11,250 today accounting for inflation.

Paul M. and serafino like this.
  13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1864 $500 Confederate note can be collected with various colors. There are three levels, light red, pink and dark red underprints. The "dark red" is not that dark. It is not as bright as the colors that appear in the Fricke book because of the printing in the book. Here is an example of the dark red variety.

T-64 1864 Red $500.jpg

14. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Thanks for sharing @johnmilton

The D in the center on those dark red notes really pop. Some of the lighter notes it cannot even be seen at all.

Is there any information on estimated survival numbers listed in the Fricke book?

15. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I have the same set myself, but in different frames... let me see if I can track it down...

Here's the small frame...

[​IMG]

Ah, here's the larger one...

[​IMG]

I have another frame but it has earlier CSA notes...

16. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Back around 1965, I was a young kid coin collector and I remember Confederate bills being very cheap and plentiful. I don't know if they were replicas or the real thing. It was the hundred year anniversary of the end of the Civil War and there was interest in that subject.

17. James Shields

James Shields Active Member

There’s a good chance some of the Confederate notes you saw in the 50’s and 60’s might have been these Cheerios reproductions. Available for 25 cents and a Cheerios box top during an early 50’s promotion. Cheerios claims they issued more Confederate notes than the Confederacy.

71419AF2-AA5D-4D99-9C6E-638C19DA1F4B.jpeg A0B7CC01-D088-4134-B38E-40EEA8193FE8.jpeg

serafino and Baryoung like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted