Finally, A Lincoln WAM Not From 2000!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by CaptainMac, Jul 24, 2021.

1. CaptainMac

CaptainMac Gotta Love Those Errors and Varieties!

I've come across several 2000 WAM's now throughout the years that I've been a collector. While I am happy to have those, I couldn't seem to find any of the more rare Lincoln WAM's, despite going through many boxes of pennies from several banks over the years.

I am happy to say I finally broke the 2000's WAM streak, and found myself a 1998 WAM in decent condition! It does have some carbon spotting, but oh well. I know I could've just bought one in the past, but where is the fun in that! I am also aware this is only slightly more rare than the 2000 WAM's, but its a step in the right direction haha. Now to find an either nicer 1998 WAM, or some of the more rare WAM/Close AM years!

IMG_6671.jpg IMG_6669.jpg
    IMG_6670.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Nice find! It's a shame about the marks on it but it's not that bad!! Congrats!

CaptainMac likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Congrats.
    I've found ~100 each of the 98 and 00 WAMs. Only two of the 99s. Those are tough to find.
    Even though I've found so many, it's always fun to find another :)

5. CaptainMac

Dang, and here I am thinking finding my ten 2000 WAM's was a lot haha. I'm surprised it took so long for me to find a '98, but at least I have one now

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

When I was doing 8 boxes a week I was finding both 00's and 98's like every 3 boxes. I'm down to 2 a week (If I'm lucky) and the finds have sadly reduced as well. :(

CaptainMac likes this.
  7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I've managed 5 of each 2000 and 1998 over the years but I don't hardcore search cents really a couple hundred dollars a year tops. For me cents have never been really productive and I have better luck with nickels dimes and quarters.

8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Back 4 years ago I searched pennies to learn hands on
    Indians, wheats, cuds, doubled dies, etc. All fun
    My numbers for WAMs is about the same as @furryfrog02
    2 1999. 50 ea 1998 & 2000
    I’ve given some 98 & 2000 to members here
    Still thinning the herd

9. furryfrog02

I've given away quite a few 98's and 00's and STILL have almost 100 each lol. It seems for every one I give away, I find two!

Heavymetal likes this.
  10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Good for you, congrats.

11. Joe Rohrbaugh

Joe Rohrbaugh My prize AU-55 coin

Just curious. What did you use to take these great pictures?

12. CaptainMac

First off, thank you for the comment on the picture quality, as I try and make it as clear as I can.

I have an AmScope microscope I use for all my CRH. It has a 20x and 40x settings on it, which is a little excessive I will admit, but I got the scope as a gift so I am not complaining. The first picture is on 20x. I just mount my phone camera up to one of the lenses and just take a picture that way, since it is not a digital scope. It pretty much works the same way as just looking through it. The pictures of the entire coin is the same idea, just with a little 10x lens I have holding it up to the camera.

While I can get pretty good photos this way, it is tedious I will admit. A more expensive digital scope is probably easier, but I am unsure on how high the price can get with those.

Joe Rohrbaugh likes this.
  13. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

What is a WAM?

14. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

It stands for wide am. Refers to the gap between the letters A and M in America.

love old coins likes this.
  15. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted