Finally...a lifetime portrait of Julius Caesar

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@WillyM

You have a nice one there.Very nice portrait, good silver, and most of the devices quite clear. A very nice coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, and I liked the cool cat picture, too. The thought of a cat sanctuary in amongst ancient ruins is appealing to me, for some reason. (No doubt because I like both ancient things and cats.)

Andres2 likes this.
  4. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

Here is my only julius Caesar bought recently from CNG. caesar1.jpg

Jwt708, Multatuli, Cucumbor and 6 others like this.
  5. Orfew

Just received the coin today. Here is my own photo. Click on the photo for a larger version.
    Julius Caesar 480 5b small.jpg

Jwt708, Multatuli, Cucumbor and 13 others like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It looks great. And the comet is neat.

Deacon Ray and Orfew like this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice coin with good facial detail.

Orfew likes this.
  8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Nice coins everyone. Here's mine again

Julius Caesar.jpg

Jwt708, Multatuli, Cucumbor and 8 others like this.
  9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That was a long wait! Glad to hear it finally arrived. Congrats!

Orfew likes this.
  10. Orfew

Thanks David, I almost did not bid on it because it would have to ship from Italy. I am glad I did.

11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Why I missed this thread is a mystery, and I'm glad it popped up again. Some really covetable lifetime issues and the OP coin is one I wouldn't be ashamed to show in my trays, well done @Orfew !

Here are, again, my Jaycee's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

12. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Fantastic set of JC's, they don't come much better than that!!!!

Cucumbor likes this.
  13. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Ditto that. High quality example$.

Cucumbor likes this.
  14. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

Congrats, @Orfew! Unfortunately, I just saw this excellent thread now. I have in my collection 7 JC denarii. None is portrayed lifetime issue. Here my 3 portrayed postumus issues:
    7ACEA478-4FF0-4F5F-A8E2-FF8E90B02324.jpeg
    April 44 BC. Fourrée Denarius 19mm, 2.89 g Imitating a Rome mint issue. C. Cossutius Maridianus, moneyer. Laureate and veiled head right; apex behind, lituus before / Legend arranged in form of cross; A A A F • F in angles. Crawford 480/19; CRI 112; Sydenham 1069; RSC 8.
    3A7BBAC2-3993-4EC4-B8E7-D516FDC9046A.jpeg
    42 BC. Fourrée Denarius 19mm, 2.23 g; Rome mint; L. Mussidius Longus, moneyer. Laureate head right / Rudder, cornucopia set upon globe, winged caduceus, and apex. Crawford 494/39a; CRI 116; Sydenham 1096a; RSC 29.
    F156CC09-924B-43B1-AD09-1D254C72B971.jpeg

43 BC. AR Denarius. Military mint traveling with Antony in Cisalpine Gaul. Bare head of Antony right; [lituus to left] / Laureate head of Caesar right; capis to left. Crawford 488/1; CRI 118; Sydenham 1165; RSC 2, banker’s marks.

Ryro, David Atherton, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  15. Orfew

Thanks @Multatuli

I really like the Parens Patriae denarius.

Under Canadian law: "Parens patriae is Latin for "parent of the nation" (lit., "parent of the fatherland"). In law, it refers to the public policy power of the state to intervene against an abusive or negligent parent, legal guardian, or informal caretaker, and to act as the parent of any child or individual who is in need of protection." Wikipedia

I would like to see photos of the other 4 JC coins if you have them available.

Multatuli likes this.
  16. Valens

Valens Well-Known Member

My Caesar for 10 Euro plus other things.
    Roman weights and others.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew. Congrats on securing a lifetime denarius. I know how important it is to you to have that, and I celebrate your success. May I request your assistance with a puzzle? The only significant references I have for the imperatorial period are Crawford and Sydenham. For the catalog Crawford is more devoted to the action of the moneyers than to the chronology of the output. But I don't have the resources to test that. I assume that you do. The table in Sydenham is even harder for me to penetrate.

On your website you indicate that your new acquisition, which you identify as Crawford 480/5b (#2, pl LVII), was minted/issued in late February of 44 B.C. The only coin of JC I have is this:
    1-JCaesar-den-sm.jpg

I have been led to believe (don't ask me how) that this issue by Maridianus was perhaps one of the first just after the assassination in 44 BC. This would mean it was issued in late March or early April, not long after your coin. It is listed by Crawford as 480/19 and appears as plate coin #19. The fact that there are 14 listings by Crawford between the two, and 8 plate coins, raises for me a question about chronology. Based on all your references, how far apart are our two coins temporally? One just before the assassination and one just after, or a wider spread than that? What is the best reference for sorting that out, Grueber (BMCRR)?

18. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

Exactly. When I got my fourrée (Maridianus), I remember to have researched in this respect and also got this information. Unfortunately, I can't remember where was, but this is apparently true. My denarius was acquired in 2012.

Orfew likes this.
  19. Orfew

Wow, that is a superb coin. Congrats on landing such a beautiful example.

The information I have on the order of minting comes from Alfoldi's work on the coins of Julius Caesar. This was posted by @Nemo earlier in this thread:

"Alföldi arranges Crawford 480 series coins in (44 BC) month order as follows:

RRC 480/1, Buca - January
    RRC 480/2, DICT QVART - early February
    RRC 480/3/4/5, CAESAR IMP - late February
    RRC 480/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14, DICT PERPETVO - early to mid March
    RRC 480/17/18, CAESAR IMPER - late March
    RRC 480/19/20, PARENS PATRIAE - April
    RRC 480/15/16, MARIDIANVS - April
    RRC 480/21/22, CLEMENTIAE CAESARIS and Mark Antony - April "

It looks like your coin was minted in April of 44 BCE.

If you contact the ANS they should have a copy of the following article:

The Portrait of Caesar on the Denarii of 44 B.C. and the Sequence of the Issues, A. Alföldi, in Centennial Publication of The American Numismatic Society. New York, 1958.

This one is in German and is a full study of the coinage:

Caesar in 44 v. Chr. Volume I. Studien zur Caesars Monarchie und ihrer Wurzeln 1986; Volume II. Das Zeugnis der Münzen, Bonn. A. Alföldi.

I found both of these references on @Andrew McCabe 's excellent website:
    http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/Studies.html

I hope this helps,

Andrew S

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Orfew

@lrbguy

Mine was minted in late February and your was minted sometime in April so it looks like there would be about a 1-2 month difference.

21. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Alföldi's dating scheme has come under scrutiny. Some scholars believe that Caesar's output in 44 BCE, largely in preparation for his ill-fated Parthian campaign, was too large to have been produced in series one after the other. Rather, there may have been a simulataneous production of many of the Cr 480 types in multiple workshops or multiple mints. Some types can be more firmly dated by die links to known posthumous coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted