Finally, a Diadumenian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jun 8, 2020.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yes. He lists 7 (1188-1193a) with this reverse type differentiated by bust types, facing orientation, and obverse legends. For 1192, your obverse legend, bust orientation and type, E is in the left field. The listing is not in error either (as it sometimes is), as the illustrated coin shows exactly what is described.

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice job, @DonnaML

Going it alone...

[​IMG]
    RI Diadumenian 217-218 AE26 Nicopolis ad Istrum Homonoia

MACRINUS AND DIADUMENIAN:
    [​IMG]
    RI Didumenian and Macrinus 217-218 CE AE28 Markianopolis mint Serapis

4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thank you.

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I'd say your first coin mishap ended up working out well. Your second choice is a great looking coin. Also, nice demonstration of "where the dimple came from - die v. flan" - your die matches look good to me. Here's another coin with Pontianus as legate:
    Macrinus et Diadumenian.jpg
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, Macrinus with Diadumenian as Caesar, AD 217-218, Æ Pentassarion, Pontianus, consular legate
    Obv: AVT K ΟΠEΛ CEVH MAKPEINOC K M ΟΠE ANTΩNEINOC, confronted heads of Macrinus right, laureate, and Diadumenian left, bareheaded
    Rev: VΠ ΠONTIANOV MAPKIANOΠOΛEITΩN, Hera standing facing, head left, holding phiale and scepter; E (mark of value) to left
    Ref: AMNG I 722 var. (E to right plus flaming altar); Varbanov 1185a var. (E to right plus altar)
    Note: CNG coin from same dies "currently unique variety with mark of value to left of Hera and no altar"

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Fascinating. I don't actually like the CNG coin that much, what with Macrinus's nose being completely obliterated by the dimple!

Sulla80 likes this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Yes. Double die match.

Sulla80 and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted