Fill lots of modern proof collection holes...which route to take?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by KeyHunter, Nov 12, 2022.

1. KeyHunter

KeyHunter Supporter! Supporter

...what might be the better route? Purchase old proof sets to crack open or...

...purchase coins separately. I'm catching up on a decade (or two +) post retirement to complete all denomination modern proofs. THEN start working back to some classic proofs.

These coins are going into Lighthouse quadrum intercept square snaps and my binder albums. Binder pages are for the squares; I have separate pages for slabbed key date as purchased. Not all places sell the individual proof coins raw and IF they do their condition can be questionable as I've gotten SOME from big name 'net dealers covered in crud and fingerprints. Deep inside feel purchase old proof sets to crack out what I need, condition will be best...right from the mint minus a coin dealer handling raw middleman...and me getting their spoils.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Buying sets would be the best bet. Most should be in really nice condition but you may find some with spots.

Mr. Flute, tibor and KeyHunter like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’d buy the sets and break apart. Watch for milk spots on the coins before purchasing them.

KeyHunter likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Proof singles have always been the more expensive option especially if you want raw coins for albums. The only reason to buy Proof singles is if you are looking for certified coins in exceptional condition. For Proofs prior to the 1980s, that would include the "Cameo" designation.

KeyHunter likes this.
  6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Milk spots can still show up later, I have
    bought some certified eagles only to
    have them start spotting in the TPG holder, so have to expect that especially
    on the newer issues.

KeyHunter likes this.
  7. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Since you are covering a couple decades for all denominations, I would second the set crackout option. Buying individually is nice for a coin or two (me for my dimes and cents), but if you are wanting all denominations it is not the wisest for the budget.

Mr. Flute and KeyHunter like this.
  8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Most date proof sets are fine but many of 1968 to 1994 sets are often tarnished or have a haze on them. This is exceedingly difficult to remove so they should be avoided.

Yes, buy the sets and break them open. Each date is a little different in the best means to open but most I use an awl and hammer with eye protection.

KeyHunter likes this.
  9. KeyHunter

KeyHunter Supporter! Supporter

Thanks everyone for the reassurance...so far I have a 12 year gap in the 200-teen years to present. My existing denomination collections start in the 50's and end ~ 2011. Got a set list and am glad my nearest LCS stocks everything I need. Between breaking sets, transferring and upgrading existing singles from OLD Dansco albums and labeling/inventory I'm all set for long winter nights.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  10. russell1256

russell1256 Well-Known Member

Try to buy the classic ones first, the newer ones will always be around and affordable. Not the older, more expensive ones. I wish that is what I did!

KeyHunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted