Fighting with ebay regarding sale of USDA Food Stamps

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by tlasch, Mar 15, 2011.

1. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

I figured you all would like to read this

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mecha1166

mecha1166 Junior Member

You may have figured out they follow their own set of "laws".

4. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

The EBAY policy is what it is . It is their right to allow or dis-allow any item which could potentially put them in jeopardy of a legal entanglement . I know there are collectors of such specie , I think you may find more interest at a local show or auction.

5. tlasch

While I understand Coinman that it is their right I just get irritated that they first told me it's illegal (even though I had proof) and now they are telling me it's against their policy and that the USDA told them not to allow it (which I DOUBT)

Also how come people can sell FAKE coins rip people off and get away with it, but I am trying to do one of the only honest auctions out there and they cancel it

6. coinman0456

There is more than enough of " wrongdoing " in venues as EBAY . That said , according to their position and restrictions put upon them by the USDA , for all intensive purposes it's " Illegal " . Festering over it, won't change their position. You can place a " classified" add here on CT . Good luck.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Taylor, you're beating a dead horse. It would be no different if you came into my home and lit a cigarette. If you ignored my request not to smoke in the house, I would ask you to leave. You'll have to find some other venue to sell them.

Chris

8. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

+1

9. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

eBay is correct to remove your listing.

They're also on the banned list for items you can sell on craigslist.com ;)

10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

You are missing the point. Ebay's policy is based on their mistaken belief that it is illegal to sell USDA food coupons. I know this because I had a similar conversation with Ebay about a year ago. They have documentation from USDA saying it is illegal to sell these. That documentation is more than five years old and was given to Ebay by the USDA based on an inquiry by Ebay as to the legality of selling them on their website. At the time it was written it was true but not anymore. If EBay would go and ask the question now, they would get a different answer.

11. tlasch

+1,000,000,000 Thank you lettow, it appears as though everyone else has not read the chat I had with Ebay.

I have proof from the USDA certifying that it is legal.

Gee wiz maybe I should get that document authenticated!

12. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Since eBay is charging more and more for listings, it would make sense for them to allow that (they want to make $$$- good opportunity)

13. coinman0456

I'm not missing any point. The USDA has restricted EBAY from accepting USDA FOOD STAMPS from being offered in their site. Therefore , it is illegal for them to do otherwise. Period, end of story, no further discussion.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I read your chat, and that is why I posted what I did. EBAY DOES NOT WANT THAT BUSINESS!

Chris

15. coinman0456

Thick.

16. camlov2

camlov2 Member

The issue is that if they allow some foodstamps to be sold on the site they have to then check the date on every one to make sure they comply with the law. The income they would make on this small number of sales would not be worth the extra work/liability.

17. tlasch

The year? What year is still illegal? None because they have switched to EBT

The usda stated that they don't care since they are no longer used

18. lettow

lettow Senior Member

No, you are still missing the point. The USDA no longer restricts Ebay from allowing USDA Food Coupons from appearing on Ebay. The USDA has said they are legal to own, sell, trade, etc. Ebay has not bothered to ask USDA since the USDA rules changed. If they would, USDA would tell them that USDA has no problem with these being sold on Ebay. I have had that conversation with USDA also.

19. coinman0456

20. tlasch

See Figure A

Figure A
    [​IMG]

21. tlasch

That's just one example

Draft saved Draft deleted