FH Minima - Vandalic Imitation?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Apr 23, 2019.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The dealer I bought this from insisted it was a North African Vandalic imitation, but all the Vandals coins I've seen imitate later types. I think its probably an earlier Danubian issue. Either way is fine with me - it's a great coin as far as imitatives go: well-centered with excellent detail, barbarous character, and even a strong mint mark (imitating Ticinium I presume.) Any thoughts on its provenance?

minima 600.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Unofficial issues are struck around the same time as the official coins that they copy. There is no way I would believe that the Vandals copied FEL TEMP coinage. Unofficial coinage was struck due to a shortage of official coinage, and since the Vandals never issued this type it would not make sense for them to copy it. In fact, what are the odds they were even familiar with this coinage, circa 100 years later.

As far as the mint (Ticinum did not issue these) it is copying, I would say Arles (most are Western mints)...a crude attempt at TCON.

for lots of info, the definitive read on unofficial FTR's-- R. J. Brickstock,"Copies of the FEL TEMP REPARATIO Coinage in Britain" British Archeaological Reports (1987)

7Calbrey, tenbobbit and John Anthony like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree but would feel better about the matter if I had stronger proof. I believe there are exceptions. I heard the theory once that Indian copy Tribute pennies dated to a time after Nero debased the current coins and there was a need for the good old coins.

7Calbrey likes this.
  5. Victor_Clark

have you read the Brickstock book I mentioned above? There is a lot of information including this chapter-

Chapter 5 -- Dating and monetary progression of FTR copies

he uses site finds and hoard evidence, which is evidenced by rest of the book title- "a study of their chronology and archaeological significance including gazeteers of hoards and site finds"

6. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Cool little barb JA.
    Here is an URBS ROMA with a slightly different Obverse, the Reverse is well done though even if off centre.
    Size 10-11mm, Weight - 1.01g
    IMG_5270.JPG IMG_5272.JPG

Bing, Alegandron, randygeki and 2 others like this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A neat addition. I seem to remember something from Mattingly saying these were unofficially reproduced for quite some time after Constantius II had died. IMG_2261.JPG

8. Victor_Clark

I guess you are talking about his 1933 article, which is very much outdated. Anything pre 1950's on dating of these coins is not very useful, since the common theory then was that these coins continued being struck into the "dark ages"... see P. V. Hill, “Barbarous Imitations of Fourth-Century Roman Coins” (1950)

A few years after his article though, Hill knew that he was wrong. Scholars began having a more complete picture of dating because of hoards and site finds. See J. P. C. Kent, “Barbarous Copies of Roman Coins: Their Significance for the British Historian and Archaeologist.” Limes-Studien 14 (1957); in which Kent argued that imitations were struck contemporary with the prototypes.

John Anthony and randygeki like this.
  9. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

There are always exceptions. Don't we need to take this into account. Just a possibility.

randygeki likes this.
  10. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Lovely detailing on a coin of that size!

I've never heard of the Vandals imitating anything except the cross, campgate, monogram, and various Victory types of the early/mid 5th century. Unless the coin has provenance of being found in a hoard with Vandal coins, I wouldn't buy into that theory. My minim-sized fallen horsemen all purportedly came from England

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-9fHcrYiqEH.jpg imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-ISLum2erf7IK.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-RY7Gxcpnjarwn.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted