Fengtein Provence 20 Cent coin 1904 variety - Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by TylerH, Aug 11, 2018.

1. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Hi All -

This is one of 2 "1 mace 4.4 candreen" coins I have - both different provinces.

I was looking on ebay and saw a similar coin graded NGC "Harshly cleaned" and it sold for $94.

On NGC coin site it says XF value is like $75.

Am I missing something? Did these get "hot?" Not sure the grade on mine (And I cant get my macro working) but it certainly seems like it would be better than HARSHLY CLEANED

Would love your thoughts

Attached 2 images of my coin, and a screen shot of the auction

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Chinese coin prices are glowing hot. Yours is a nice coin. One of the more affordable coins from Fengtien province but not as common as Guangdong (kwangtung) province. Even in fine condition, I reckon it's easily a 50+ dollar coin.

Seems like you found a stash of nice Chinese coins. Very nice!

4. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Thank you! I wish I could get my macro working so I could take some better pics to judge the grade!

I thought "cleaned" - not to mention "harshly cleaned" just KILLED coin values, yet this was still nearly 100$ - What would this have been worth in AU were it not cleaned?

5. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

The other 20c is from Hupeh prov. Its actually a nicer condition coin.

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I think the reality at the moment is that supply is so low that even cleaned / damaged coins do command some premium. I have no problem buying such coins and I'm glad that I did as some of the damaged / cleaned coins that I own are literally impossible to upgrade unless I'm willing to part with an arm or leg.

Do feel free to show all the Chinese coins - maybe a batch of them in a couple of photos and there maybe something interesting :)

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast Supporter

Coin looks like a solid original AU or better. Great find, easily $200+ in AU and jumps up big from there.

8. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thank you!!! I’m going to send it in here at some point - just waiting for enough to do the economy option :)

9. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Is there a grading service that is better for foreign! I was just going to use ANACS

10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast Supporter

NGC is best for Chinese and most foreign coins in general

Draft saved Draft deleted