Fellow Sellers/Dealers....why be 2-3x over market ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Jan 6, 2022.

1. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I think it's also RPD 103; just pulled it up randomly as an example.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What are the relevant population numbers in those grades ?

Also, this particular coin might be generally purchased by more well-heeled collectors with more $$$. So I am NOT surprised that someone is pricing it maybe 25-50% over where you thought the range might be.

Again....I get holding out for a premium price even a vastly inflated price for a rare coin where you eventually will or might get your price.....but that does NOT apply to coins with lots of other subsitutes like the moderns and commemoratives that I see on Ebay and the like.

Still, a good example, JM. Thanks.

4. GoldFinger1969

Gotcha, thanks.

Probably overpriced but at least here you have some rarity. When you are dealing with moderns and commemoratives where there are DOZENS for sale at any given time and the populations are in the hundreds if not thousands, the sky-high asking prices don't make sense.

johnmilton likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, the second one wouldn't get any offers, because he didn't enable Best Offer. That I can't understand, especially after it's been sitting for a while.

It looks like there was ONE that went for $299 the day after Christmas. (It's listed as "or Best Offer", but there's no strike-through on the price, which I think means it sold at the listing price.) I guess he figures if it brought that price once, he can wait for it to happen again. Hey, it's his inventory.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

There always that "I don't want to sell it price"! :)

-jeffB likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

The one above got sold for $135 with 19 bids. I could see one going for $175.....MAYBE $200 if only 1 or 2 for sale and someone wanted it then and now.....but $300 is insanity, as Estelle Costanza used to say. :D

8. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

WC Fields?

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nope

good guess

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted