FEL TEMP REPARATIO - hut type

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Feb 8, 2015.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Another of my off piste purchases again I am afraid. I don't really focus on LRB but saw this Alexandrian hut for sale from a collector who has made a speciality of this series and added it to my hoard. (I have a soft spot for the style from Alexandria for some reason)

Constans - AE Folis - RIC VIII Alexandria 60

Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
    Rev:- FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs.
    Minted in Alexandria, officina 3; (/ALEG), A.D. 348-350 A.D.
    Reference:– RIC VIII Alexandria 60

[​IMG]

Martin

galba68, Cucumbor, 01mikep and 26 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful piece. Ive thought about replacing mine over the years, but like you not huge into LRBs.

[​IMG]
    Constans (337 - 350 A.D.)
    Æ2
    O: DN CONSTA-NS PF AVG, Pearl diademed, draped and and cuirassed bust left, holding globe in right hand.
    R: FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO, Helmeted soldier,spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small figure from a hut beneath a tree.
    (mint of Cyzicus), 4th offincia. SMKΔ
    4.5g

4. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hi Martin,

Very nice coin i like the detailed hand on obv.

Cheers,

Eric

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow Martin, sweet coin details are awesome, Wow!!

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a nice coin with a distinctive style. Here's mine from Antioch...

constans.jpg

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Martin, I agree with the rest of our coin-gang => that's a fricken awesome coin and I really think that the "globe in right hand" is extremely sweet (great addition)

... ummm, but I always think that the reverse is a bit creepy, no? (maybe I watch too much Criminal Minds?)

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

There's a good thread at FORVM discussing this reverse type, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone can locate it, it's a great read.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

To me, the interesting part is the way a different tree 'grew' at each mint. In some cases there are different trees from the same mint as well but it is obviously not accidental. To have a set, you also need the ones with Constantius II on the obverse. I do not have a set and one I am lacking is the OP Alexandria to which I say, "Some coin!"
    Heraclea
    rx6175bb0643.jpg
    Nicomedia
    rx6200bb2205.jpg
    Cyzicus (like Mat's but a different tree)
    rx6210bb2269.jpg
    Antioch (like JA's but different tree)
    rx6240b00773lg.jpg
    Constantius Aquileia
    rx6375bb2997.jpg
    Constantius Thessalonica
    rx6580bb2124.jpg

Assembling a complete set will not be easy. A decent Constans sold yesterday over my too cheap underbid. It was not IDed correctly by the seller but that is what we expect on eBay sometimes. Who bought it?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONSTANTINE...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice examples, the details looks pretty good on those.

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that is an excellent coin martin, great detail.

the reverse is interesting indeed, at first i thought the soldier was rescuing a child...that would go with the "restoration of good times" them, but the figure is usually described as a captive isn't it? i'm interested in what is going on as well.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The scene as I see it shows Rome resettling certain barbarians into border lands marginally under the control of Rome. These settlements would be handy buffers between Roman lands and ugly acting outsiders (Huns etc.) who would have to go through these settlements on their way to the 'real' Empire. How high or low minded this is depends on your politics.

Mikey Zee and chrsmat71 like this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

very nice example Martin!

My only hut
    p 048.JPG

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

One of these is somewhere on the want list, and the want list is getting loooong.

randygeki likes this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Seeing all of these nice coins and thinking I had a bunch, I checked my catalog to find I only have two of these and they are both Constans.

Constans15_OBV.jpg Constans15_REV.jpg
    CONSTANS AE2
    OBVERSE: D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO,
    Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs. ANGamma in ex
    Struck at Antioch 348-350 AD
    3.5g, 21mm
    RIC VIII 126

Constans2 OBV_opt.jpg Constans2 REV_opt.jpg
    CONSTANS AE2
    OBVERSE: D N CONSTANS P F AVG - Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust left, holding globe
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, soldier dragging young barbarian from hut beneath tree of one branch with millet-like head with a multi-leaved stalk on each side, SMNB in ex.
    Struck at Nicomedia 348-351 AD
    3.8g, 20.5mm
    RIC 70

16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Very nice coins. I don't have any of those hut coins at all, yet.

17. maridvnvm

Another hut coin to add to my hoard. From Lugdunum, which hasn't been covered in this thread yet. A slightly different tree too....with an old pedigree

Constans - AE2

Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand
    Rev:- FEL TEMP REPAR-ATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points up and to the right
    Minted in Lugdunum, (// *PLG), A.D. 348-350
    Reference:– RIC VIII Lugdunum 86 (R)

Ex collection of Count Gaston de Lambertye formed in the 18th century

[​IMG]

18. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Another winner!!:)

19. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Excellent Martin.

Mine is better in hand than the photograph
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bronze Centenionalis
    D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG - Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
    FEL TEMP REPAR-ATIO - Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards and to the left.
    Mint: Thessalonica (348-350 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 4.45g / 23mm / -
    References:
    • RIC VIII Thessalonica 118
    • LRBC 1636
    • BW Ref: 145 029 095
    Notes: May 28, 15 - Wildwinds suggests this should be billon. This is silvered bronze.

It used to look like this
    Constans 20150050 before obv.JPG Constans 20150050 before rev_opt.jpg

20. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

Nice Huts Martin and everyone. I have a few with neat patinas.
    Doug H.
    130b.jpg 130c.jpg 130d.jpg

21. maridvnvm

Some really great coins with such wonderful variety caused me to keep my eyes open. I have added a Nicomedia example...

Constans - AE2
    Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
    Rev:- FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs.
    Minted in Nicomedia, officina B; (//SMNB), A.D. 348-351 A.D.
    Reference:– RIC VIII Nicomedia 70

Some hard green stuff clinging on to the sufraces in areas.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted