FEL TEMP - Galley - Lugdunum - Imitatives

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, May 6, 2022.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have a collection of some of the more common FEL TEMP REPARATIO types and amongst them is a range of the Galley types. I also have a general predeliction for the coinage of Lugdunum. As such I have a number of FEL TEMP types from Lugdunum.

The style is quite distinctive as can be seen across a range of official types from the mint:-
    Constans - RIC VIII Lugdunum 82
    [​IMG]
    Constantius - RIC VIII Lugdunum 102
    [​IMG]
    Constans - RIC VIII Lugdunum 72
    [​IMG]
    Constantius - RIC VIII Lugdunum 97
    [​IMG]

I also have a liking for contemporary imitatives especially when they are in good style. I was able to purchase three imitatives of Lugdunum Galley types.

They are in varying degrees of stylistic quality but none is in the style of Lugdunum set out above.

Coin 1:-
    Constans - AE2 - Barbarous imitiation
    Obv:– D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Rosette diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Emperor standing left on galley, holding phoenix on globe and labarum; Victory behind, steering galley; A in left field
    Imitates a coin minted in Lugdunum (//PLG)
    Reference:– Imitates RIC VIII Lugdunum 104 but with Phoenix on globe in place of Victory on globe

Weight 4.73g. Maximum diameter 22.09 mm. Die orientation 180 degrees

The style here is the most generic. The legends are all in good form and have not degraded to the IIIIIs that at normally indicitative of a barbarous imitation. The scale of the head of the emperor on the reverse id wrong, being far too large and it would appear that "Stickman" has replaced Victory steering the galley.

[​IMG]

Coin 2:-
    Constantius II - AE2 - Barbarous imitiation
    Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Emperor standing left on galley, holding phoenix on globe and labarum; Victory behind, steering galley
    Imitates a coin minted in Lugdunum (//*PLG)
    Reference:– Imitates RIC VIII Lugdunum 75 which has *SLG Dot, or RIC VIII Lugdunum 76 which is Rosette diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right

Weight 6.17g. Maximum diameter 23.69 mm. Die orientation 0 degrees

Again the legends are well formed. The general engraving is well enough done but not in the style of the mint. This would be an unlisted variety if genuine.

[​IMG]

Coin 3:-
    Constantius II - AE2 - Barbarous imitiation

Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Emperor standing left on galley, holding phoenix on globe and labarum; Victory behind, steering galley
    Imitates a coin minted in Lugdunum (//PLG*)
    Reference:– Imitates RIC VIII Lugdunum 78

Weight 5.07g. Maximum diameter 24.47 mm. Die orientation 0 degrees

Again the legends are well formed. The general engraving is well enough done but not in the style of the mint. This time it coyies a genuine type.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

here's an unofficial example from the 1948 Freckenham hoard

Constantius_Lyon_FEL_galley.jpg

Constantius II
    A.D. 348- 350
    21mm 5.0g
    D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG; pearl-diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right.
    FEL TEMP REPARATIO; Emperor in military dress stg. l., holding phoenix on globe and standard with [Chi-Rho]; in stern sits Victory, steering ship.
    In ex. SLG
    cf. RIC VIII Lyons 69

4. maridvnvm

What a lovely example.

Mine came with old collector's tags but their origin has been lost. Is anyone aware of any documentation available of the "Coleshill hoard"? Looking at Helvetica's lists these seem to closely match the description of some examples from that hoard and a comparison would be useful.

Seaby, W. A. (1945). A Hoard of late Roman Coins found at Coleshill, Warwickshire. Trans Proc Birmingham Archaeol Soc 66. Vol 66, p. 170.

Edessa likes this.
  5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

The Coleshill hoard is in The Chalfont Hoard and other Roman Coin Hoards (Coin Hoards from Roman Britian IX)

Edessa likes this.
  6. maridvnvm

Many thanks for that snippet. I have that volume. Some evening reading approaches......

Edessa likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Excellent coins!
    The reverse on mine is a bit eh.
    IMG_2339.JPG

Edessa, cmezner, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Got this one recently from a cheap coin box - it was $15 just couldn't let it go :D

Not quite sure about the mint mark:

Thrace, Heraclea, 351 – 355 AD, mint mark SMHA or SMHB (officina unclear, A or B)
    15.36 x 15.91 mm
    2.12 g
    RIC VIII Heraclea 90

D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG Bust of Constantius II, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed, right
    FEL TEMP - REPARATIO Soldier, helmeted, draped, cuirassed, advancing left, spearing fallen (Parthian) horseman with r. hand and wearing shield on l. arm; shield on ground to right; horseman wearing pointed cap, facing soldier, extending l. arm

IMG_2817.jpeg

IMG_2818.jpeg

Edessa, randygeki, Bing and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted