Feels great to go back to the late empire

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I've had an itching to revisit the late Roman Empire, so for my birthday coming up I treated myself to something a little pricier than the usual LRBs, a siliqua. Its a bit worn but all of the devices are still there, its not clipped, and its got an attractive dark patina to it (I can't remember the last time I saw a siliqua this darkly toned). And its has a great portrait. I've been on a Greek and Alexandrian binge lately so it feels nice to go back to my first passion: coins of the late Roman Empire, specifically Valentinian I and later. And it has been ages since I've gotten a coin of Gratian, so there's that as well. I don't normally post coins before I get them but I couldn't help with this one. Please post your siliquae, Gratians, darkly-toned silver, and/or any birthday coins!

Gratian, Western Roman Empire
    AR siliqua
    Obv: D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: VRBS ROMA, Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and inverted spear
    Mint: Trier
    Mintmark: TRPS·
    Date: 367-383 AD
    Ref: RIC IX 46b
    (description from WW; photos from seller)

gratiansiliquaPCoins.jpg

Here's a map of the empire, surrounding states, and positions of the various barbarian tribes during Gratian's rule.

RomanEmpire378ADhistorynet.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I've never seen one so dark! It looks like chocolate... And it's so nicely struck and crisp!

And happy early birthday!

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Gee Wiz you can see by your map the tribes moving in on the Roman Empire (not long to go) but getting back to your coin, absolutely fantastic a hard to come by toned Gratian.jpg Siliqua with great detail,congrats. My Gratian I've shown before but if it wasn't for this coin I wouldn't be collecting ancients now so I will have it in my possession forever.
    Gratian. AD 367-383. Æ (3,07g). Rome mint. Struck AD 375-378. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm branch. R.QUARTA. RIC IX 24c.
    edit

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin @ValiantKnight - I'm bidding on a siliqua in the Frank S. Robinson auction as well as an argenteus amongst others so hopefully some of these will show up in hand.

6. ValiantKnight

Thanks guys! And nice Rome-mint Gratian @Ancient Aussie ! Always liked those long Rome mintmarks.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  7. ValiantKnight

Best of luck!

8. ValiantKnight

Finally got around to putting together in-hand photos.

siliquavk.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted