Feeling sick right now.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Miketexas, Sep 16, 2016.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Crappy situation. Did anyone close to you know that the collection was going into the storage unit? Slip of the lip spells trouble in most cases.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Wow... that blows.

Most of the storage places near me are actually pretty secure, especially the indoor ones.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I understand your feelings, but booby traps can lead to prison terms if for instance, fire fighters cut open your unit to check for fire spread and they are injured or killed. Few collections are worth 30 to life in prison if someone dies.

5. Miketexas

Miketexas Member

As far as I know. No one knew we had my collection in storage. If you ask me I think it was someone in the storage unit complex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

just trying to be funny and make him smile cause I'm sure hes having a hard time with loosing that much.

7. Miketexas

Miketexas Member

Thanks I appreciate it[emoji12]

8. Miketexas

Miketexas Member

[​IMG]

On the bright side I got these today before I found out about the theft. Time to start over with this 67 Kennedy and a box of cents[emoji12][emoji851]

silentnviolent and Jwt708 like this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Only Cause someone said SBA, there were a couple Dark toned deep rainbow? 79' I believe in, Commerce City today.

10. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Seriously, go out tomorrow and hit every pawn shop you can find. That is their most likely go to place for selling their ill gotten gains. Some pawn shops don't take coins or currency, but, they'll let you know if someone came in trying to sell some. The police don't have time to do this. You may have to do some of the sleuth work on your own. It will pay. If you had gold coins those would be the most likely bought by the pawn shops or gold/silver shops. Take pictures with you. Sorry this happened to you. Hope you get your stuff back.

Stevearino, green18 and spirityoda like this.
  11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I am so sorry @Miketexas. That really sucks. Just recently I was starting to accept that a shipment of coins I sent into ANACS was lost and gone. It had some of my more personal coins from my collection in it. I felt sick for a few day's just thinking about what could have been gone. It wasn't so much the monetary value but the sentimental value to me. Thankfully after a couple of phone calls, the package showed up at ANACS and is now safe.

I truly hope for the best outcome for you. I would also be contacting every Pawn Shop in the area as well.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that really sucks. I would go to every pawn shop and coin shop in that area. hopefully you took good pictures of your best coins to show the pawn shops and coin shops. I make sure I take good pics of my best coins in case something happens to them like theft. if you have pictures of your coins I would take them to the next coin shows in your area too. best of luck trying to get them back.

Stevearino and green18 like this.
  13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You're a role model for optimism. I hope there's a 1969-S DDO in there for you. :)

silentnviolent and Miketexas like this.
  14. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Maybe your goods will show-up on Craigslist. Lots of currency on Dallas CL: http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=currency+

Maybe post a "Want to Buy" ad?

If you should happen to find your goods on CL, get the Police involved.

My brother-in-law found his stolen race engines & parts on CL. Florida PD set-up a sting and surprisingly let my brother-in-law act as a buyer! Successful outcome -- bad guys arrested, goods returned. And much safer than an attempt at vigilante justice.

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's a great attitude!

silentnviolent likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's only a small gesture of sympathy, but pick an item out here and it's yours.

(Edit: pick an item out of MY stuff, that is. I can't give you the stuff that belongs to the other people in that thread, obviously.)

PM me your choice and your shipping address.

I wish you the best of luck in recovering your collection.

Definitely follow up with law enforcement and local dealers.

(Edit 2: or, if you prefer, I have a bunch of BU Wheaties. They're all common late-1950s dates (and not too many different dates at that) but I'll send you a batch of 'em if that's more your cuppa tea. I also have some Buffnix and Libnicks, average circulated, also common. Stuff left over from my old antique mall booth that I never got around to selling.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I love stings like that, where the bad guys get what's coming to 'em, and the good guys triumph through cleverness. I'm a sucker for some of those "bait car" reality shows for this very reason.

Stevearino likes this.
  18. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Most of these places have a security system and cameras in place...worth it to ask them to check the tapes out for you>?

19. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sorry to hear. It's not completely hopeless. Whoever took your coins, most likely does not want your coins. Probably junkies, which means they have to be sold. That's where your chance is.

Stevearino likes this.
  20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Sorry about that loss, @Miketexas - and I hope you can at least part of your collection back. As far as I can tell, you do not collect euro coins, but if you do, let me know.

Christian

21. Miketexas

Miketexas Member

They are reviewing it now. There were 300 in and outs at the entrance with the camera right on them. The detective said they are going to run plates from the video which makes me feel some better!

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted