Feel weird asking this ddr error on quarter i have?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by BlondeWhit, Nov 10, 2018.

1. BlondeWhit

BlondeWhit Member

20181110_015553.jpg this pic was incredibly hard to capture and i had to rig my microscope with my phone. Are most of the pictures on here taken with a seperate camera? My phone is pretty good but just wont focus up that close. Can anyone tell me any tips? This is just one of the coins ive come across that i really wanted some feed back with. I realize that the chances of finding a doubled die is so slim, so ive done quite a bit of research to try to tell the difference between mechanical doubling and doubled die coin and im not sure if im missing something or if i just need to read a whole lot more about it and that it is infact as hard as im making it to tell the diffence. Ive referenced a few coins to master lists of variety doubled die coins and when it goes into the markers you can compare with, i feel like the older coins have so many marks that die cracks, die gouges, and die chips are so impossible to recognize. Btw, are die chips, gouges, and cracks pretty much the same thing? Are they indented into the coin or raised? Im thinking it would be raised if im picturing it in my head but can someone please clarify. Im going in circles lol. Not to mention that ive NEVER posted anything on forums before in my life and hope that this post and the only other one i made a few days ago were following the guidelines and good etiquette.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Welcome to CoinTalk

You need to tell us what year your Quarter is.

Please provide full pictures of both sides of the Quarter. This will also give more clues.

So far I see Mechanical Doubling. IMHO

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Cointalk
    IMO based on your pic and the lighting it appears to be MD, it would help in the future if you could show the whole coin.

Most of us like the front and back of the coin, as far as taking pictures it takes some getting use to.

I use my phone and a 10x loop for close ups but just keep practicing and you'll figure it out.lol
    Dave

Oldhoopster likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

A DDR is considered a variety.
    Variety's are due to the die design. The die strikes many coins and will produce the same characteristic through out it's use.
    Errors are not a characteristic of the die. They happen when there is a failure during the striking process.

I see Mechanical doubling on your coin.
    If you don't have a good reference. This will help
    http://doubleddie.com/1801.html

Dave363 likes this.
  6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Machine Doubling...devices are reduced in size and doubling is flat and shelflike.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, not depressed, but raised or level. Cracks are often level if small, and raised if large. Think of it like a waffle iron, if you hit the raised squares of the iron ( pretend coin die) with a chisel and knock a chip out when you use it , the mix ( coin metal)will rise into that area and produce a raised bump on the waffle ( Die chip caused). Oh, and I see MD also) Jim

8. BlondeWhit

BlondeWhit Member

Thank you all so so much for answering me and helping alot. I really did feel maybe i had dumb questions. As for not taking a pic of the whole coin, i didnt because it is a 1987 quarter. In the wexler's list of doubled dies there aren't any for that year so i guess i felt foolish to think i was the exception to have found one lol. Im still trying to learn how to identify die cracks and gouges. I feel like when i was referencing coin with that master list that most of the markers were hard to see. Im not sure why everyone seems to see them but me but i have kind of a rigged magnifier taken from a microscope. Im not sure if its quite 10x or not but im working on getting a 10x loupe. Those are super hard to find it turns out lol. Ive called alot of places and its offered online but not in stores. Im working on getting my debit card settled so i cant even purchase it online either grrr. Im hoping that once i get one it might help me because the pics online are just so hard to indentify.

Draft saved Draft deleted