FDOI: An ICG trademark in the past?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, Oct 15, 2021.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" - that's a pretty old quote, and appropriate here.

Problem is, that rose stinks ! ;)

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

"This horse has been well cared for all its life. Only ridden to the Roman baths on Sunday by a little old lady."

"Tell me another tale you lying Greek, its teeth are flat and its lame in the left front hoof."

"I'll make you a deal!"

"SOLD"

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  4. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I agree that the only reason to give a coin FDOI is to have collectors pay an unGodly sum for a coin (or anything else that is graded). My son has collected Marvel comic books since he was 12. He bought them with his own money or sweat of the brow. He worked at a pharmacy stacking inventory, sweeping and moping floors, and anything else he was asked to do. The Pharmacist (and my son) kept a record of the hours that he worked, and weekly he would be given a chit that he could use to collect his comics. Sometimes, he would asked to get pay so he could get covers for his comic books. He also has a collection of baseball cards from (I think) TOPPS. He would get a box that had all the baseball cards of players in that year. Again, most of his collections came from working and getting chits. He has all the TOPPS (I may be wrong on the manufacture of the cards) from 1983 to date.
    None are graded because he kept them all in some type of cover. He put the baseball cards in a large, sealable bag to keep them intact. He still will not sell them and he has kept his collections intact. He now owns two homes in Atlanta suburbs and two beach apartments in Florida, a boat, a motorcycle, 2 cars, 4 daughters (3 in college) and a partridge in a pear tree. (I don't know what I did for him, but it must have been right.
    ps: He doesn't care for collecting coins. He says it's to volatile.

OldSilverDollar and JeffC like this.
  5. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

The mint could set aside the 1st 10k of coins then add a "first strike" strike to each coin and sell them for 10x as much as the ones offered after for sale

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

First Strike began with PCGS in 2005 and was soon followed by the other TPG's. The lawsuits were brought by one collector about a year later. NGC, ANACS, and ICG caved in and settled and NGC changed to Early Release. PCGS told him to bring it on and the collector folded instead. A few years back NGC added the option of First Strike on their label again.

JeffC and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted