Favorite Eagles on US coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stgecko, Feb 22, 2018.

1. stgecko

stgecko Junior Member

I made up a set of Eagle pics from US coins. I'll post a couple of my favorites and perhaps someone can tell me what coin the eagle is from. Please post your own eagles if you'd like. 1919 Alabama raw rev.jpg 1999 George Washington eagle (3).jpg

Let me know what your guesses are and post some of your favorites.

FrugalCO and Clawcoins like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I like the first one (and the coin is sort of identified right there on the face ;)).

I like eagles like the St. Gaudens $20 or the Walking Liberty half. Standing Liberty eagle is okay. I really don't like heraldic or "spread" eagles, which leaves out the majority of US issues -- Barbers, Morgans, Kennedy halves, Washington quarters.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I could have some fun with that, BUT, it is a family oriented site.

Hoky77, stgecko and calishield like this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I collect eagle coins too and have the ones your posted :) So I'll let someone else guess.

stgecko likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I like the eagle on Flying Eagle Cents, Peace and Morgan Dollars, all earlier eagles on various coinage and the Washington Quarters. On gold coins, St. Gaudens and Indian Heads. Let's face it, I like the eagle our national symbol, a truly majestic bird, on all US coinage.

stgecko and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Some of the best eagles were actually on pattern coins, but I have no preferences.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. Clawcoins

and the Platinum Eagles .. don't forget the various Platinum eagles reverses!!

Tater likes this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I was always partial to the Eagle on the reverse of the Ike dollar. I was a kid when we landed on the moon and that was such a magical time for me. Yep, this one would be my favorite.

Y9EQ2SSE.jpg

Rassi, CircCam, Tater and 5 others like this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

My favorite depiction of an eagle is the "Funky Chicken" on the 1792 Cent (Roman Head).

Chris

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

One of my favorites also.
    Apollo 11.jpg DSC04298.JPG

CircCam, dwhiz and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The Walker is by far my favorite on regular issue US coinage. I don't track modern bullion or commems, so I have no idea what those might be.

But why limit it to US coinage? There's some pretty cool eagles on foreign coinage as well.

JPA867 reverse.jpg JPW688 reverse.jpg

14. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

15. Clawcoins

16. Clawcoins

17. Clawcoins

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'll let @Beefer518 have all the art-deco eagles, as long as I can hang onto a few gold Indian $2.5/5/10 coins. I really dislike the eagle designs on those, but they're still intriguing.

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

IMG_0346.JPG @stgecko I used to live in Washington State, further north Everett, Bellingham and Ferndale. Lots of real eagles in those parts. I never really got to your area. Do you have eagles there?

It's hard to see but we have a pair of eagles where I currently live. This was taken in January. He's small due to distance and only my cell phone but he looked great and was feasting. Only a quarter of a mile from the house.

FrugalCO, Dave Waterstraat and dwhiz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted