Favorite Artistic Nude Coins & Medals

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GeorgeM, Feb 19, 2012.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

A Portuguese medal, it seems. :) "Dia da Mãe", above the woman with the child, means "Mother's Day", and the signature "Cabral Antunes" suggests that it was designed by José Maria Cabral Antunes (1916–1986).

The poem on the other side, "Minha Mãe" ("My Mother"), was apparently written by an author named A. S. Freitas. Hmm, here is a Portuguese Wikipedia page about António Sousa Freitas (1921-2004) http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/António_Sousa_Freitas which even mentions that the two worked together ("Em 1969, fundou o Gabinete Português de Medalhística, onde trabalhou com o escultor Cabral Antunes"), but does the "signature" on that side actually say Sousa? Looks like "Simsa" or so to me ...

Christian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

"Maja" in Spanish refer to beautiful. So, "naked beauty"

Vestido means dress. So, Beautiful dress.

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

OK with the first part; I just remember that, at least in German, the "desnuda" was/is usually translated, but not the "maja". So you would often see titles such as "Die nackte Maja" - and that looks as if Maja was the woman's name. :) As for the second one, isn't "vestida" an adjective here? Would be "Dressed Beauty" then ...

By the way, the Maja Desnuda was also depicted on a Spanish postal stamp series about 80 years ago. Not as pretty as on Goya's painting though, hehe. See here, particularly the note at the bottom ("In the year 1930 the US government, through its U.S. Post Office Department, forbade and returned the letters coming from Spain that displayed the Naked Maja stamps") and the "commented set" then sold in the US. :D

Christian

5. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Yes on the second you are correct, i read it very quick. You said "vestida" not "vestido" Dressed beauty.

6. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

7. GeorgeM

8. GeorgeM

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

My "Like" for your previous post refers to the Portuguese medal. Very interesting mix of "classic" and "modern"! :)

Christian

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I seen this on on 60min or some show like that.but it was 6ftx4ft,about 10 years ago
    It sold for big $$$$$$$.00 the wall size one plus it was #1

11. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

new medal obv.jpg new medal rev.jpg new medal box.jpg

New medal. Love the design and shape and the fact that the box is with it in decent shape. I'll have fun looking up all the inscriptions.

12. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

paris medal rev.jpg paris medal obv.jpg

Paris Exposition medal. Exquisit design. Love the shape of the medal. Excellent effort by designer Roty.

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

coppermania => super-cool coin and box!! (nice)

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have this coin in my MISC. collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted