Favorite 10 of 2016 (From FitzNigel)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Dec 10, 2016.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Okay, I've been delaying posting my top ten until I could get up the post of my Philip von Heinsberg coin. While I didn't have a large number of purchases, there was a good group to make a top ten:

02-FCh-Henry I-AR-D-01.jpg
    French Feudal, Champagne
    Henry II, r. 1180-97
    Troyes Mint, AR Denier, 20.52 mm x 0.9 grams
    Obv.: +HENRI COMES, Cross Pattee with annulet in 2nd and 3rd quarter
    Rev.: +TRECAS CIVITAS, TEBO Monogram
    Ref.: Roberts 4145

This coin is a part of a larger 'set' I am working on with Feudal French coins. I'll save the details for a future post, but for now, I was pleased to find a coin from either Henry I or II from the city of Troyes.

01-R3-Caracalla-AR-DE-03.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D. (203 A.D.)
    Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 20.4mm x 3.21 grams
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right
    Rev.: INDVLGENTIA AVGG, IN CARTH in ex, Dea Caelestis seated facing on lion galloping right over rushing waters, holding thunderbolt and scepter
    Ref.: RIC IV-1 Caracalla 130a, p. 231. C

I have a shot spot for the denari of Caracalla, and enjoy the different reverse this coin has. I am hoping to build a portrait series of Caracalla, but this will be a long term side project.

02-Eng-Henry VII-AR-E1d-1.jpg
    England
    Henry VII, r. 1485-1509 (1494-1501)
    Durham Mint, mm 76b, AR Penny, 14.88mm x 0.6 grams
    Obv.: Henry enthroned facing, holding scepter and globus cruciger, throne pillar on either side surmounted by saltire cross
    Rev.: Coat-of-arms over long cross pattée, mitre above
    Ref.: SCBS 2234
    Ex. R.D. Frederick, Ex. Tradewinds Collection

This coin was a product of a good deal that I couldn't pass on, but I do enjoy the enthroned king Henry. The Durham mint is also special to me, it this is the only coin I have from that mint.

02-Eng-John-AR-E1d-1.jpg
    England
    John, r. 1199-1216 (1205-1216)
    London Mint, AR Short Cross Penny, 19mm x 1.54 grams
    Obv.: hEnricus R_ _ (ex)
    Rev.: WALTER . ON . LV (Walter on London)
    Ref.: SCBC 1353
    Ex. Dr. Murray Gell-Mann Collection

Another of my longer projects is the monarchs of England, and I am quite pleased to add this nice version of a short cross penny minted under John.

02-FAqu-Henry II-BL-D-1.jpg
    French Feudal, Aquitaine
    Henry II, r. 1152-1168
    Bordeaux Mint, BL Denier, 16.57mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: +hENRICVS REX, cross pattée
    Rev.: º+º / AQVI / TANI / ºEº, in four lines
    Ref.: SCBC 8001
    Ex. R.D. Frederick Collection. Ex. A.H. Baldwin

Like the Henry VII of England coin, this came as a great deal, considering these coins of Henry II rarely come available.

02-GCo-1167-Philip Heinsberg-AR-D-3 R1.jpg
    German States, Cologne
    Archbishop Philipp von Heinsberg, r. 1167-1191
    AR Denier, 3rd type, 18.05 mm x 1.4 grams
    Obv.: HITARCH EPICOV, Archbishop with mitre, crosier, and bible seated on lion throne
    Rev.: EIACOLONIA PAICHAI, Three towers over wall and gate, likely representing the Cathedral of St Peter, Cologne
    Ref.: De Wit 1993

Original thread here. Just a beautiful coin!

02-IVen-Pietro Ziani-AR-G-01.jpg
    Italian States, Venice
    Pietro Zani, r. 1205-1229
    AR Grosso, 19.79 mm, 1.9 grams
    Obv.: [·+·]P·ZIANI· ·S·M.VENETI outside (Z retrograde), D/U/X down banner held between doge and St. Mark facing
    Rev.: [I¯C] X¯C across field, Christ enthroned facing.

Original thread here. Another beautiful coin with an historical significance.

02-FAqu-Eleanor-AR-D-01.jpg
    French Feudal, Aquitaine
    Eleanor, r. 1185-1204
    AR Denier, 17.86mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: +DVCISIT, M above, A below, two cross pattee on either side
    Rev.: +AQVITANIE, Cross Pattee inside
    Ref.: SCBC 8011

While not the prettiest coin, these are not easy to come by. I may have paid too much, but I am happy to have an Eleanor! There is some controversy surrounding the identification of this coin, but I intend to cover that in a future post.

02-Eng-Stephen-AR-E1d-01.jpg
    England
    Stephen, r. 1135-1154 (c. 1136-45)
    AR Watford Type Penny, London Mint, 19.47mm x 1.1 grams
    Obv.: S_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ X (Stiefne Rex), Bust right holding sceptre
    Rev.: ADEL_ _ _ : _ _ : _ _ _ (Adelard on Lun), Cross Moline
    Ref. SCBC 1278
    Note: Irregular shaped planchet, small flan cracks, strong portrait, weak peripheral

Original thread here. A hard to find coin with a strong strike. The planchette may not be pretty, but I think it adds to its character.

05a-FTou-1109-William IX-AR-D-01.jpg
    French Feudal, Toulouse
    William IX of Aquitaine, second reign r. 1109-1117
    AR Denier, 18.82 mm x 1.1 grams
    Obv.: VVILELMO COME, Cross Pattee in center, S in second quarter
    Rev.: +TOLOSA CIVI around, PAX in center
    Ref.: Duplessy 1210 (as William IV), Roberts 4225 (As William IX)

Another coin with some controversy over its issuer. I'm inclined to follow the argument that this was issued by William IX of Aquitaine. While perhaps not the prettiest coin I purchased this year, it was one of my most desired, and I was pleased to find one. Like some of the other coins above, I intend to post something more involved on this coin at a future date.

All in all, I think it has been a good year! I'm a little surprised I did not grab more Roman coins, or any Greek coins (as I had initially hoped I would). I'm quite happy with the lot though!

seth77, dlhill132, mcwyler and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't actively collect coins from the Middle Ages, but you have some very nice ones that could make me look into that area of numismatics. The Caracalla Dea Caelestis would fit nicely in my collection however.

stevex6 and FitzNigel like this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice coins. I especially like the Eleanor of Aquitaine. I have been actively looking for one of those but they do not come up often.

FitzNigel likes this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

True Orfew - hence why I jumped on this one despite the flaws. The nicer ones go for a little more than I'm willing to spend at the moment. I'll probably upgrade in the future

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great collection @FitzNigel ! I only have a few Middle Ages, but seeing yours and others is really stirring my attention. I just did a cross-country move, so it looks like we may not bump into each other at a local show now... bummed, would have enjoyed meeting and sharing your coins.

FitzNigel likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A very cool group!

FitzNigel likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great coins, Fitz ... hmmm, I think that #9 and #5 are my favourites

Thanks for showing-off your stuff

emoticon cheers too.gif

FitzNigel likes this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I recall you posting you were moving @Alegandron , but didn't realize it was so far away! Shame we didn't get a chance to meet up!

Thanks for all the kind comments guys!

Alegandron likes this.
  10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

My hat off to you @FitzNigel!
    You are focusing upon an area of numismatics, European Mediaeval, which is very
    intricate and challenging to say the least. And, you already have a penny of Stephen (I don't know how many times I have tried to successfully bid on one of Steven's coins, no success so far). Yours shows a large amount of detail for the type.
    A very nice selection!

FitzNigel likes this.
  11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Thanks for the kind words @Eduard ! Medieval coins were my gateway to ancients (I think most here have gone the other way...), but I've always lived the history of the Middle Ages

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very nice! How cool to have an Eleanor of Aquitaine, too!

FitzNigel likes this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Cool medieval posts although still an area I'm putting off for a while longer. Like Bing, that Caracalla denarius immediately caught my eye and made me drool:D

FitzNigel likes this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Oh-my-gosh! What have I done... went from 71 degrees F to having 2 snowfalls in the last 2 weeks and being 20 degrees F here. 4,500 miles of back and forth moving... HOWEVER, having 5 daughters, their families, and 6 Grandkids within an hour's drive, and setting up a new business with Families employed... well, maybe it is worth it for the next 5-10 years. THEN, it will be back to Civilization in the South again (or maybe Costa Rica or Thailand...) :D

FitzNigel and Mikey Zee like this.
  15. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Lovely coins, Fitz!
    You will be pleased to know that a "medieval" coin will be in my upcoming top ten list.:smug:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    FitzNigel likes this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i think "oh, there's going to be some cool medieval coins in this list"..i was right!

i had no idea who "elanor" was, had to wikipedia her!

FitzNigel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted