Faustina the elder, Lifetime issue

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by expat, May 30, 2024.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

As I only order, or take part in, auctions from within the EU, my options on obtaining coins on my wishlist are sometimes limited. Last week a coin came up in an auction that I wanted. Slight damage resulted in only a few bids and I got it for a great price. Thanks to @Roman Collector and his highly detailed and entertaining series Faustina Friday, I knew from the obverse and reverse legends and the reverse image it was a lifetime issue. So nice to see one among the multitude of postumous examples.

Faustina I Denarius. Lifetime issue. 138-140 CE. FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right / IVNONI REGINAE, Juno standing left, holding a patera and sceptre, peacock before. RIC 338, RSC 215. Sear 4669. 18mm, 3.15gr

[​IMG]

Please post your examples of the Lifetime issues of Faustina or any other historical figures

tibor, GarrettB, cmezner and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Not in very good condition, but here is one of mine that is posthumous.

Faustina I AE Dupondius, posthumous issue, after AD 141. 28 mm, 12.97 g. upload_2024-5-30_20-55-48.png

DIVA FAVSTINA, draped bust right, hair elaborately waved and coiled in bands across head, drawn up at back and piled in a round coil on top.

AVGVSTA, S-C: Ceres, standing left, holding short torch in each hand.

RIC 1174; Cohen 92; BMC 1576; Strack 1283.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. GarrettB

GarrettB Well-Known Member

I only have a posthumous issue for Faustina. How about her uncle and two adopted children? Apologies - the LV photo is not great, but the coin looks lovely in hand with the highest relief of any denarius I have.
    Hadrian Africa.jpg Marcus Aurelius.jpg Lucius Verus .png

expat, tibor, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted