Faustina II As or Dupondius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Nov 18, 2019.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Faustina II Venus As Dupondius2.jpg
    RIC 1408; Cohen 251
    FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII FIL / VENVS SC
    12.38g, 27.5mm, 154-6 AD
    Ex. Bertolami E-Sale Auction 50 2017

This was a slightly confusing coin to attribute, and @Roman Collector was a great help in nailing down the reference. The seller had attributed the coin as RIC 1409, which was clearly incorrect because on my coin Venus is clearly facing left holding an apple and sceptre, and not a rudder with a dolphin wrapped around. Sear 4735, my first point of reference, lists this type with the obverse legend FAVSTINA AVG PII AVG FIL as RIC 1408, with no mention of a different obverse legend variety. RIC 1408, however, does list two possible obverse legends, but it mentions the one listed in Sear (group 3) and FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII F (group 6), which misses the last two letters of the legend on my coin.

Although the legend on my coin beyond ANTONINI is almost nonexistent in the image, under magnification the final two letters IL are faintly present, and the space between the final I of ANTONINI and the IL of the FIL make it clear that the full legend provided above is indeed present on my coin.

Cohen does, however, list an example of my coin with the full obverse legend as both a sestertius (250) and a middle bronze (251), providing the second part of my reference above.

I have now spent a considerable amount of time on the usual sites studying the type and have found that my obverse legend seems to be around a half as common as the alternative legend, and appears far more consistently on the sestertius of this type rather than the middle bronze denominations. I think that the reason for this is made quite clear on my coin where the lettering is rather tiny compared to the average As of this time. This is also, I conjecture, the source of RIC giving the legend as F rather than FIL. I have discovered images of two examples online which terminate with an F, and it is most likely in my opinion that the engraver simply ran out of room. The legend of this type commonly begins well under the bust of Faustina, or has no interruption at all over the head. I can only conjecture that mine was an early die on which they hadn't quite figured out how they were going to fit everything in, and the one terminating with an F were likewise failed early attempts.

This much digging may seem superfluous for such a humble coin, but I've greatly enjoyed my time researching this one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a lovely coin, with the empress and Venus well-rendered by the die engraver. Beautiful patina, too.

Here's my humble example with the FAVSTINA AVG PII AVG FIL obverse legend. I need to upgrade this one for sure.

Faustina Jr VENVS and scepter Dupondius.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I really enjoy these sessions with Faustina (I and II) minutiae - figuring out the legends and hair-dos and variations are a lot of fun - and Roman Collector has helped me out many times (thanks, RC!)

I don't have the OP, but I have what I think is an example of the OP's initial incorrect attribution (RIC 1409). Dupondius was the call I made based on its brassy color:

Faustina II As VENVS May 2018 (0).jpg

Faustina II Æ Dupondius
    (148-152 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust right / VENVS S-C, Venus standing left, holding apple and rudder around which a dolphin is coiled.
    RIC 1409; Cohen 269.
    (11.69 grams / 26 mm)

Jwt708, Curtisimo, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

I have one too!
    Faustina Jr VENVS and rudder dupondius.jpg

6. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Does that mean I need one of those as well now?

7. Roman Collector

Well, all the cool kids have them. ;)

Curtisimo and thejewk like this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

thejewk likes this.
  9. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice Faustina Jr with Venus on reverse. Mine has Pudicitia on reverse instead. Also have the similar legend.

FaustinaII-AS.jpg
    Faustina Junior. AE as (27mm, 10.12 gm).
    Rome, AD 147-161. FAVSTINA-AVG PII AVG FIL / PVDI-C-ITI-A
    RIC III (Antoninus Pius) 1403.​

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I enjoy trying to attribute my coins as well. I don't have the reference books so I'm not concerned with catalog numbers, but pinning down a tough legend is fun.

thejewk and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted