Featured Faustina Friday -- Ephesian Artemis on an Æ 20 of Aezani

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Aezani (Greek Αἰζανοί) in northern Phrygia, near the headwaters of the Rhyndacus, was a political and economic center of modest importance in pagan times but became a notable bishopric during the Constantinian and Byzantine eras.

Heinrich_Kiepert._Aezani.jpg
    From "Asia citerior," Auctore Henrico Kiepert Berolinensi. Geographische Verlagshandlung Dietrich Reimer (Ernst Vohsen) Berlin, Wilhemlstr. 29. (1903). David Rumsey Historical Map Collection.

Ruins of the ancient city include a well-preserved Temple of Zeus, a combined theater-stadium complex, and colonnaded streets.

800px-Aizanoi_Zeus_temple_2225.jpg One of a series of pictures taken to show the exterior of the Zeus Temple in Azanoi. Photo by Dosseman, used without alterations and with permission.

1024px-Aizanoi_Theatre_june_2008_2290.jpg Aizanoi Theater June 2008. Photo by Dosseman, used without alterations and with permission.

800px-Aizanoi_Colonnaded_street_june_2008_2331.jpg Aizanoi colonnaded street June 2008. Photo by Dosseman, used without alterations and with permission.

Coins bearing three reverse types are known bearing the obverse portrait of Faustina II, of apparently the same denomination (~20 mm, ~5 g). A coin certainly issued under Antoninus Pius (RPC IV.2 1674) bears the obverse inscription ΦΑΥϹΤΙИΑ ΝЄΑ (“Faustina Junior”) and a portrait with an early hairstyle paired with a reverse type featuring Asklepios standing. Two later issues bear the obverse inscription ΦΑΥϹΤΙΝΑ ϹЄΒΑϹΤΗ (“Faustina Augusta”) and a portrait featuring Faustina’s middle-period hairstyle – a combination used on imperial issues between AD 158 and 161. These two coins have reverse types featuring Apollo (RPC IV.2 1677) and Ephesian Artemis (RPC IV.2 1678).

The goddess Artemis of Ephesus (Diana in Roman mythology), was not the quite the same as the one worshipped in Greece. The Greek Artemis was the goddess of hunting and is often depicted with stags. The Artemis of Ephesus, however, was the product of syncretism between aspects of Artemis and of Cybele and was therefore worshipped as a goddess of fertility. She was often depicted as a female figure with multiple breasts, which were the symbols of fertility, from her waist to the shoulders, with bulls, deer, queen bees, eggs, and other fertility symbols everywhere. Note the presence of lions, which indicate syncretism with Cybele, and the presence of stags at her side, which are an aspect of Greek Artemis.

Ephesian_Artemis-56aac3673df78cf772b48125-1.jpg
    Replica of the cult statue of Artemis of Ephesus. In the Ephesus Museum. Photo source: Van Gogh Alive.

This coin’s reverse is very similar to the cult statue of Artemis in Ephesus. No traces of a temple to Artemis (an Artemision) have been found among the ruins of the city and the purpose of the goddess’ appearance on this coin remains a matter of conjecture. It’s entirely possible the city boasted temples to Apollo, Asklepios and Artemis as featured on its coins, but such temples may have been repurposed under Christianity in later centuries.

Faustina Jr Aezani Artemis Ephesia hemiassarion Koelner Muenzkabinett.jpg
    Faustina II, AD 147-175.
    Roman Æ 20.3 mm, 5.89 g.
    Phrygia, Aezani, c. AD 158-161.
    Obv: ΦΑΥϹΤΙΝΑ ϹЄΒΑϹΤΗ, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: ΑΙΖΑΝ-ЄΙΤΩΝ, cult statue of Artemis of Ephesus standing facing wearing kalathos, hands resting on supports.
    Refs: RPC IV.2 1678 (temporary); BMC 25.39,117; SNG Cop 101.

Let’s see your coins of Aezani, coins featuring Ephesian Artemis, or anything you feel is relevant!

seth77, PeteB, Restitutor and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

Nice coin and write up.

Here is another Ephesian Artemis from Phrygia:

G_286_Traianopolis.jpg
    Traianopolis
    Asia Minor, Phrygia
    Pseudo-autonomous issue
    AE16
    Time of Hadrian, AD 117-138
    Obv: Helmeted bust of Athena right, wearing aegis.
    Rev: ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ, Facing statue of Artemis Ephesia
    AE, 16mm, 3.11g
    Ref.: RPC III 2479; Lindgren I 1049.

PeteB, Ryro, Shea19 and 11 others like this.
  4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

upload_2021-2-5_18-20-54.png
    Phrygia, Aezani, Claudius
    bverse inscription ΚΛΑΥΔΙΟΝ ΚΑΙϹΑΡΑ ΑΙΖΑΝΙΤΑΙ
    Obverse design laureate head of Claudius, r.
    Reverse inscription ƐΠΙ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΜΗΤΡΟΓƐΝΟΥϹ
    Reverse design Zeus standing, l., with eagle and sceptre

Marsyas Mike, PeteB, Ryro and 10 others like this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin and fantastic pics, RR.
    ephesus__3_-removebg (1).png
    Claudius I (AD 41-54). AR cistophorus (10.8gm,26mm, 6h). NGC Fine. Ephesus, ca. AD 41-42. TI CLAVD-CAES AVG, bare head of Claudius I left / DIAN-EPHE, tetrastyle temple with three steps containing central standing figure of Diana Ephesia, polos on head and fillets hanging from wrists; shield, altars, two stags and figures in pediment. RIC I 118.
    Ex Heritage online auction Dec 2020, lot 61118.(10.8gm,26mm, 6h). NGC Fine. Ephesus, ca. AD 41-42. TI CLAVD-CAES AVG, bare head of Claudius I left / DIAN-EPHE, tetrastyle temple with three steps containing central standing figure of Diana Ephesia, polos on head and fillets hanging from wrists; shield, altars, two stags and figures in pediment. RIC I 118.
    Ex Heritage online auction Dec 2020, lot 61118.

seth77, PeteB, Ryro and 10 others like this.
  6. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ionia. Ephesos. Hadrian AD 117-138.
    Bronze Æ. 21 mm., 5.89 g.
    Laureate head right. / Statue of Artemis Ephesia within tetrastyle temple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marsyas Mike, seth77, PeteB and 11 others like this.
  7. ambr0zie

My only coin with Artemis:
    upload_2021-2-5_23-44-27.png

Seleukid Kingdom. Magnesia on the Maeander . Seleukos II Kallinikos 246-226 BC. Bronze Æ 17 mm., 4,02 g.

http://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.670

Obv: Head of Artemis right, bow and quiver behind.
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΣEΛEYKOY.
    Apollo standing left, testing arrow and resting bow on ground; all within maeander pattern. Controls: Monogram in field to outer right, two monograms in field to outer left.
    SC 670.

8. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

ambr0zie, I just bought this from a member here.
    It looks a bit like your Artemis. Sorry, I don't have the coin in hand yet.
    artemis.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Bing, PeteB and 5 others like this.
  9. ambr0zie

I don't think it's the same type of coin, but better pics would help.

10. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Better picture

Perge.jpg

Marsyas Mike and Bing like this.
  11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I enjoy this trend of trying to link numismatic representations on local coinage with actual local monuments and/or cult statues very much.

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted