Faustina Friday -- A stephane with THAT hairstyle?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

While browsing online for coins of Faustina II and her mother, I was struck by the bust type on this sestertius, for it depicted the empress in the final coiffure of her life (this hairstyle persists on coins issued posthumously in her honor) but wearing a stephane. This was a bust type I had never seen before. Typically, when she is depicted with a stephane, it is on coins issued much earlier, with various, but different, coiffures. Moreover, it was a reverse type I did not possess in any denomination. I HAD to acquire such a coin.

Faustina Jr DIANA LVCIFERA S C sestertius diademed bust.jpg
    Faustina II, AD 147-175.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 25.68 g, 32.3 mm, 1 h.
    Rome, AD 170-175.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, Bust of Faustina II, draped and wearing stephane, right.
    Rev: DIANA LVCIFERA S C, Diana standing right, holding lighted torch in both hands.
    Refs: RIC 1631; BMCRE 901; Cohen 91; RCV 5272 var. (no stephane); MIR 8-6/10c diad.
    Notes: Obverse die-match to the British Museum specimen.

I wasn't thrilled with its rough surfaces and worn reverse legend, however. So, before buying it, I thought I'd poke around the internet and look for a better example. I did searches at biddr and Emax.Bid to see if any were in upcoming auctions, looked at CNG, FORVM, and VCoins. Tried eBay. Nothing. It looked like this was my only opportunity to buy one at this time.

But was the price right? I went to acsearchinfo and coinarchives to see what recent hammer prices have been and I could only find examples of the coin with the plain bust, without the stephane.

At this point, I realized the coin is quite rare. I poked around a little further. It was not to be found at Wildwinds, The Coin Project, or coinscatalog.com. The single OCRE example turned out to be the specimen in the British Museum, to which mine is an obverse die-match:

Faustina Jr DIANA LVCIFERA S C sestertius diademed bust BMC.jpg

The coin is not listed in the antiquarian catalogs of Wiczay or Sultzer. Cohen lists it as no. 91, an example in the French national collection (BnF), with an uncertain reverse legend -- he didn't know if it read DIANA LVCIF or DIANA LVCIFERA S C:

Faustina Jr DIANA LVCIFERA S C sestertius diademed bust Cohen listing.JPG

Since the only examples online after an extensive search were the British Museum specimen and the example cited by Cohen, I figured I had better buy it -- rough surfaces notwithstanding -- because I figured I would never have another opportunity. I felt like @David Atherton when he stumbles across a rare Flavian! Is this the third known example of the coin? Possibly, but it's impossible to know if another resides in a museum that does not contribute to OCRE or in private hands.

Post your Faustinas wearing a stephane, coins with an unusual bust type, coins with Diana Lucifera, or anything you feel is relevant!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Isn't it a great feeling? It always gives me the warm fuzzies.

Great coin, BTW!

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice catch, RC. Given the full legends and very recognizable portrait, I don't think the rough surfaces are much of an issue. It probably looks better in hand anyway.

Here is RIC 1630 - same, far more common, coin without the stephane. At least I think so - Faustina and her various torch-bearing Dianas confuse me a bit.

This one seems to have an obverse legend variation, FAVSTINAE:

Faustina II Sest Diana Luc May 19 Fran (0).jpg
    Faustina II Æ Sestertius
    (161-176 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

FAVSTINAE [AVGVSTA(E?)], draped bust right. / [DIANA LVCIFERA SC] Diana standing right holding long torch in both hands.
    RIC 1630 var. (FAVSTINAE); Cohen 88; BMC 899.
    (21.44 grams / 27 mm)

Faustina II Sestertius Diana Luc May 19 France (0det).jpg

5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice find, RC. Haven't seen such hairstyle - stephane combination before.
    Thanks for sharing.

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It's always thrilling to find a rarity, even a rough one. And a Diana Lucfera reverse is something you can't ignore

[​IMG]

Q

7. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Here is mine with similar hairstyle, but no stepane...
    FaustinaBronze2bb.jpg
    Faustina Junior, Augusta. 170-175/6
    AE As, 24mm, 13.61g
    Rome Mint.
    Obv: Draped bust right
    Rev: Cybele seated right, holding drum, between 2 lions
    RIC III 1664 (Aurelius)

8. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

RC a.k.a harp eye … Thank you for sharing.

I noticed another ex.
    upload_2020-11-21_1-29-58.jpeg
    iNumis Mail Bid Sale 6 07.11.2008 Lot 224
    32,0 mm, 22,50 g, 12 h

sharing your obverse die, and an as sold by CNG.
    upload_2020-11-21_1-31-43.jpeg
    CNGea 289 24.10.2012 Lot 32 (no weight).

MM I was very happy too to see your coin. RIC mentioned FAVSTINAE AVGVSTAE bronzes only with MATRI CASTRORVM reverses.
    upload_2020-11-21_1-33-27.jpeg
    I hope you will accept I retouched your photo.

Thank you both.

9. Roman Collector

Thanks for tracking down another example of my coin. Just curious, how much did the one at the iNumis Mail Bid sale sell for? Same obverse die as mine and the BMC specimen; very different reverse die. That makes four examples (so far).

The as with this reverse type seems to be quite rare, too. It's unlisted in Cohen and RIC, though the British Museum acquired an example, BMCRE 976, in 1913; why it's unlisted, therefore, by RIC is a mystery.

I'm puzzled by @Marsyas Mike's coin. Faustina has the hairstyle she wore from about AD 158-163ish, like those on the DIANA LVCIF coins with the LEFT-facing Diana, but on his, Diana is right-facing. Moreover, the FAVSTINAE ... obverse legend isn't attested for this reverse type. The hairstyle is not at all consistent with the FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL types of AD 147-149. It's a variety that is unlisted in any of the standard references (RIC, BMCRE, Cohen, Sear, etc).

Marsyas Mike and Aestimare like this.
  10. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

The iNumis ex. was sold 320 €.

I can easily understand your questioning : as acquired in 1913 and RIC III edited in 1930. Maybe just an omission ? In any case, not in RIC addenda nor corrigenda, I checked it too.
    Thank you RC, for this as I didn't notice.

Personally, I imagine there's a hairstyle similarity between @Marsyas Mike's ex. and the BM FAVSTINAE AVGVSTAE MATRI CASTRORVM ex. :
    upload_2020-11-21_3-36-22.jpeg
    What about this DIANA LVCIFERA from Roma Numismatics :
    upload_2020-11-21_3-57-0.jpeg
    Not a FAVSTINAE, but a hairstyle still closer than the previous one?

11. Roman Collector

I came across another one that's currently up for auction. That makes the total inventory:

My coin
    BnF coin cited by Cohen
    British Museum specimen
    iNumis mailbid sale
    Artemide Kunstauktionen

happy_collector and Marsyas Mike like this.
  12. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I don't have much to offer to this conversation, except that it encouraged me to go back and check my Faustina II. No stephane, but I did notice that I have what is probably the earliest depiction of Commodus on a Roman coin. Notice he is already making demands:
    temp.jpg
    Silver Denarius
    Rome mint
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA
    Rev: FECVNDITAS - Fecunditas, standing facing right, holding septer in left hand and infant in right
    RIC (Marcus Aurelius) 677
    19mm, 3.3g.

Draft saved Draft deleted