Faustina as with a left-facing bust

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Post anything you feel is relevant!

I am very happy to have won this at Heritage's latest auction. This variety with the left-facing bust is quite scarce and may have been struck with a single obverse die.

It was struck under her father, Antoninus Pius, and bears the earliest form of obverse legend, FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, dating it to AD 147-150. A right-facing bust is the usual form of the coin; this one has a left bust. It is not listed in Cohen (who does note a variety with a left-facing bust, but without the S C on the reverse; Cohen 259) nor in Sear. The British Museum has an example in their collection. Another example was sold by Numismatik Naumann Auction 72, lot 368 on February 3, 2019. I have not been able to find other examples online.

They appear to have been struck with the same obverse die; in addition, mine is a double die-match to the Naumann example but not to the BMC specimen.

Here's mine:

Faustina Jr VENVS left bust as 2.jpg
    Faustina II, AD 147-175/6.
    Roman Æ as, 9.85 g, 26.0 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 147-150.
    Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, Bust of Faustina II, draped, with band of pearls, left.
    Rev: VENVS S C, Venus standing right, drawing veil from shoulder with right hand and holding up apple in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 1410b (l.); BMCRE 2165; Cohen --; Sear --.

The BMC specimen:

Faustina Jr VENVS left bust as BMC.jpg

The Naumann example:

Faustina Jr VENVS left bust as Naumann.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Ryro, Andres2, zumbly and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice, can't recall seeing to many of her's with left facing bust, first look seemed weird. Congrats rare for sure.

4. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

That's nice. The Naumann example is mine now and your coin is therefore a die match with mine. :) Always good to find a die match.

But the color of the Naumann picture is a little misleading, it's more brown.

Faustina.jpg

Ryro, Andres2, zumbly and 11 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

How cool is that?!

thejewk and Orfew like this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but it always catches me off-guard when there is a left facing bust. Great looking coins btw :)

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice left-facing Faustina II. Like this one with Venus on the reverse. :happy:

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats pretty cool. Congrats!

Draft saved Draft deleted