"Fatty" Indian Head Cents - easy short set?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Mar 19, 2015.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I would still make a counter offer for the cents. Some of those are quite nice.
    Steel cents are fairly common and once again it depends on the grade. If they are old rusted ones or have been replated usually not worth much. But if they are gem uncirculated coins they have some worth.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

nah, i think i'm going to leave the cents alone, i thought about it, but i'm not comfortable dealing with this lady anymore, she sort of accuse me of trying to swindling her, and taking 2 of her mercuries "for scrap" price instead of their numismatic value, and i didn't.

4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Probably the smarter move my friend. Stick to dealers or ebay. But as we always say the key to this hobby is KNOWLEDGE. The more you know about coins, grading, pricing the better you'll come out. You can pick sweet coins for cheap prices instead of a lot of junk.

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Help, help. My thread has been hijacked.

rooman9, Paul M. and bdunnse like this.
  6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

1864-L copper nickel cents do exist, but they are generally considered patterns by most since they are really just transitional pieces made after the redesign of the obverse for the start of the bronze cents. They're are only two or three known to exist. Good luck getting your hands on one of those.

That is a cool idea of a neat short set though. I would suggest that the addition of the few regular strike 57 and 58 flying eagle cents would complete the "white cent" collection.

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Great idea, @Kirkuleez. I have an 1857 in my type set already, so all the better!

(I love Flying Eagles as much as I love Walking Liberty Halves, so you don't have to twist my arm on that one!)

Kirkuleez likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Punt on them , too high.

Also, you should start your own thread, this was about CN Indian head cents.

9. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

I'd suggest buying a REDBOOK and using the grading guide link that was gave above before buying anyone. Buy the book before starting the hobby.

10. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Still looking for a reference to this.

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Coinfacts and heritage both have articles.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There is an article in the October 2008 Longacre's Ledger by Frank Leone about them that pictures all three known pieces. One was in an ANACS AU Details holder serial #2820093, one was in a SEGS holder as a 40 coin (called a PF-40 but the dies do not match the known proof pattern pieces) serial #5057831118400643602, and the third one was in a New Netherlands sale. Their 59th sale June 1967 Lot 1100 graded about VF. At the time of the article the ANACS piece was owned by Rick Snow, the SEGS coin by a private collector, and the New Netherlands piece has not been seen since the 1967 auction. (It was plated and can be proven by the plated that it isn't one of the other two.)

14. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Links?

15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Draft saved Draft deleted