"Fatty" Indian Head Cents - easy short set?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

1859-1864IHCs (obv).jpg I know some of them are pretty sad, but I like 'em.

(I'm going to upgrade 1860 "The Bearded Lady" and 1864 "The Botched Nose Job", and 1859, but you get the point)

If you allow yourself to skip over the moderately more expensive copper-nickel and "L" versions of the 1864 (Edit: there is no "L" version; see below; thanks bdunnse) it seems to me that this is a fairly easy and inexpensive 'short set' to build.

1859-1864IHCs (rev).jpg fat vs thin.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    mark_h and rooman9 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Not sure what you mean by this. The "L" version of 1864 is not copper-nickel, but is copper-tin-zinc (bronze). The no "L" 1864 comes in both compositions, the copper-nickel fatty one being the one that would go with your short set.

Red book on G4, "copper-nickel", fatties
    1859 $15
    1860 $13
    1860 pointed bust $18
    1861 $22
    1862 $12
    1863 $12
    1864 $20

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying. I was going by what the Greysheet had. It just lists 1864 CN, 1864 Br, and 1864 L.

bdunnse likes this.
  5. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Just an FYI...some 1864 CuNi "L" cents have turned up--struck both by proof dies and regular dies. There may be more out there too. :)

6. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Hmmm...had not read that anywhere. Thanks. Must be rare - not suitable for your average short set? lol

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I've heard of the CuNi "L" cent, also, but haven't seen one. I think it would be cheaper and easier to expand your short set to include the 1858-60 patterns.

8. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Oh yeah they're very rare--just 3 non-proof pieces are known--just a head's up. :)

9. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Do you have a reference for this?

10. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

hello, i'm new to this, i may be purchasing some 1890's, 1901,1905,1907 indian head cents but i don't know if the person will be ripping me off on the price, i spoke to a dealer in nh and just gave him the dates and i'm thinking they are probably in good to fair condition, he said they were probably only a few bucks each and that they were common dates... i think this lady wants 20 dollars or so per cent... any advice??? thank you!! - robert

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Don't do it. In Good those dates are worth less than $2 each. In Fair you can probably pick them up for about $1 each.

12. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

really?! that's it? i still think they are neat coins and are in holders, they do have pretty clean edges/rims and the detail on them is readily seen... she also has a 1914 barber dime, a 1939D jefferson nickel, 1913buffalo (she said a "type 2"?), any idea on them as well? the i, personally don't pretend to be an expert of any sorts, but just by looking at them, they were in circulation and are a little worn, but dates and markings are well - seen the buffalo is kind of nice... thank u so much, because this woman thinks these are worth alot, but i told her i would research a little and get opinions and try give her a fair offer. i offered her $25.00 for the nickels, the barber dime, and the 5 or 6 indian head cents already, but she turned it down.

13. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

That would make for an interesting set for sure.

14. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

hi again, would you mind if i forwarded the email pictures of the coins? would that be ok? i dont want to bother anyone, but i'm thinking about getting into coin collecting, and i just need some opinions on an estimate grade/ and fair price to pay. thank you. - robert

15. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

16. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

Attached Files:

17. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

Hi,I figured out how to send these pics

18. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

hi, here are some of the indian head cents, the reverses are pretty much the same condition as the obverse, i was thinking about purchasing these from someone, they seem to think that they are maybe $20? each, what's your opinion? thank you! - robert

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

OK those are MUCH better than Good to Fair condition. And they are definitely worth more than the 1 to 2 dollars each I said earlier. But I still don't think they are worth $20 each.

20. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

The 1901 is the nicest. But yes, not worth $20 a pot.

21. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

yeah, my thoughts also... i think it's one of those situations where someone has some really old items and they automatically assume a premium value be placed on them. what do you think about steel wheat cents? i dont see too many of them, i have 3 of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted