Father and son team tile their garage floor using 33,700 shiny 2p coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Skyman, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Nas, Two Dogs, Mad Stax and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Lets hope they checked them for the "1983 New Pence 2p coin"
    1983 and after were all struck as Two Pence but a few got through struck the same as 1981-2 as New Pence.
    Worth around £600.

4. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wow haha very creative.

5. AJefferson

AJefferson Member

That's pretty cool! I saw someone do similar with US pennies as a kitchen floor.

Two Dogs likes this.
  6. midtncoin

midtncoin Well-Known Member

In the small town I grew up in, there was a very old rural country store that dated back to the turn of the 20th century. The sales counter of this store had been inlaid with hundreds silver dollars. In the early 1900's, this would have not been an easy or inexpensive feat! The store burned down before my time but both my father and grandfather told me the story. And the little store was so "famous" in the area that the crossroads where it sat became known as "silver dollar" and that area is still called that to this day by some of the older locals.

fish4uinmd and AJefferson like this.
  7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Maybe the US Treasury could advertise the dollar coin by taking the billions of dollar coins they have in storage and use them to pave the mall in DC.

AJefferson likes this.
  8. Old Coin Dawg

Old Coin Dawg Active Member

Talk about a messing things up, that's no way to treat your money. Did they show a photo of their work? Come on guys let us see what you did.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

10. Old Coin Dawg

Old Coin Dawg Active Member

WOW

11. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

What was the town??

12. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

He's a license plate collector as well.

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The article states, quote - "The mammoth project also involves soaking the coins in Coca-Cola to make them shine." Closed quote.... Is this true? Soda can shine up Copper?

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It doesn't make them "shine" but it does strip off the darker oxide toning that occurs on copper coins. Typical dipped pink copper. Ugly to a collector but just the thing for the contrasting color for the floor.

ldhair and paddyman98 like this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Not so much soda but Coca Cola, vinegar and tomato ketchup has the same effect, if you leave it soaking long enough it will corrode and rot away.
    We used to shine Pennies up when i was a kid, not Cents but real copper Pennies.
    So if it does this to a coin imagine what happens to your guts after drinking this stuff.
    I`m told Coca Cola makes a good toilet bowl cleaner too.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Couch made from half dollars welded together
    [​IMG]

detail
    [​IMG]

AJefferson likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not really, acid content too low. (Of course you could say the same of most commercial toilet bowl cleaners too. The Works is best with 9% HCl acid, and it isn't as good as it used to be. It used to be 19% HCl. Most other commercial products are about 2%.)

Draft saved Draft deleted