Fascinating Renaissance Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ycon, Jul 17, 2018.

1. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

This is one of my favorite coins. I've had it for several months, but failed to give it a proper introduction.

901Dedit.jpg

Giovanni II Bentivoglio (1494-1506). Bologna
    . Pattern Testone. 1494. O/ II BONONIENSIS IOANNES BENTIVO LVS. Capped bust to the. R/ B XIMILIANI IMPERATORIS MVNV MCCCCLXXXX IIII. Chim.221. Hill 606. AE 10.96g 29.00mm Dies engraved by Francesco Raibolini called Francesco Francia. RR. Original strike. Plugged hole. XF.

It is notable primarily for three reasons: The first, and most important for me is that the dies were engraved by the great Renaissance painter Francesco Francia.

[​IMG]
    1510 Portrait of Federico Gonzaga by Francesco Francia, at The Met

Francia's reputation has suffered a bit, but he's one of the progenitors of the Bolognese school of painting, and one of the most important artists to actually engrave coin dies. Also exciting to me is the fact that Vasari describes Francia's activity as an engraver:

“But that in which he delighted above all, and in which he was truly excellent, was the making of dies for medals, wherein he was the rarest master of his day, as may be seen in some that he made with a most lifelike head of Pope Julius II… not to mention that he made medals of Signer Giovanni Bentivogli, in which he appears alive…As long as he lived he was ever Master of the Mint in Bologna, for which he made the stamps of all the dies, both under the rule of the Bentivogli and also during the lifetime of Pope Julius”
    This last statement by Vasari is characteristically hyperbolic. Francia did not coin of Bologna's coinage, but he was responsible for the portrait coins of Giovanni II Bentivoglio, Julius II, and the first period of Leo X.

The second reason this coin is interesting is that it is the first Anno Domini dated Italian AE coin (after the fall of the Roman Empire). It is featured in Levinson's The Early Dated Coins of Europe. It was minted in 1494 to celebrate the minting privileges that were granted in that year to Giovanni II Bentivoglio by the Holy Roman Emperor, Maximillian--whose name is featured along with the date on the reverse.

This brings me to the third feature: this coin may not be a coin at all, but a medal. It is a prova or pattern testone struck from the same dies as the AV 4 ducat and AR double testone. Many of the examples are found with holes (or a plugged hole in the case of mine) which supports the supposition that these were intended as presentation pieces rather than circulating currency. Though this piece is rare, the 4 ducat and double testone are both of the greatest rarity. Here is an example of the ducat which comes from the Rome museum.
    Antignate_1_D.jpg Antignate_1_R.jpg

Giovanni II Bentivoglio was himself a very interesting figure. He ruled as the "first citizen" and tyrant of Bologna.

137405646-612x612.jpg
    Bas-relief Portrait attributed to Francia

[​IMG]
    Portrait by Ercole de' Roberti

He is even mentioned by Machiavelli in chapter 19 of The Prince!

“Messer Annibale Bentivoglio, who was prince in Bologna (grandfather of the present Annibale), having been murdered by the Canneschi, who had conspired against him, not one of his family survived but Messer Giovanni, who was in childhood: immediately after his assassination the people rose and murdered all the Canneschi. This sprung from the popular goodwill which the house of Bentivoglio enjoyed in those days in Bologna; which was so great that, although none remained there after the death of Annibale who were able to rule the state, the Bolognese, having information that there was one of the Bentivoglio family in Florence, who up to that time had been considered the son of a blacksmith, sent to Florence for him and gave him the government of their city, and it was ruled by him until Messer Giovanni came in due course to the government.”​

tibor, Nerva, galba68 and 28 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bravo written accounting........

ycon likes this.
  4. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Fantastic, thank you for sharing.

ycon likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin and very interesting write up.

ycon likes this.
  6. Iosephus

Iosephus Well-Known Member

Great medal and wonderful description! I believe it is generally considered to be a medal rather than a coin, supported by the reasons that you pointed out.

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

This guy was obviously very proud of his ears... o_O instantly recognizable in any portrait! Of which your coin/medal is a wonderful example, I'm glad you introduced us to it. :)

ycon likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Cool! You've acquired some very interesting items :)

ycon likes this.
  9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Outstanding coin and fascinating essay and images, @ycon ! The coin is as much a piece of fine art as it is an historical artifact and outstanding numismatic example.

10. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Great acquisition! It's always fun to read you're posts @ycon and see the coins as I'm fairly ignorant of renaissance coinage, especially of Italy.

ycon likes this.
  11. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Great write up and wonderful coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted