FAQ for Newbies to Roll Searching

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Melina, Feb 10, 2012.

1. morbidsteve

morbidsteve New Member

I will give it a try with the ordering. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Don't forget, if you don't have an account, expect resistance.

4. RobertAPearce

RobertAPearce Member

Enders....

So would a Pre-1965 Roosevelt Dime Ender be a "RENDER"? or a Mercury Dime Ender a "MENDER"? :bart:

5. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Yes. I PM'd Peter and he has not responded. :(

6. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Got a response from Peter - keep posting the questions and answers here! I'll create a new thread when there are enough :D

7. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

8. clorox

clorox Member

I have a question I've been wondering about: Where does one sell their found silver? What percentage of spot is a good sell price? 90%?

9. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

You can usually do better than 90% everywhere except a B&M, and even some B&M's beat that. I use ebay and the PCGS forums.

10. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

THought I would move this here as some of it may be helpful.

11. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I just sold 9 coins, 8 silver and 1 clad, on ebay and got more than spot price but I put down 3 dollars as shipping because I wasn't sure how much it would cost (I don't own a postal scale and wasn't sure how much it would weigh with the packaging). It ended up costing close to 5 dollars with insurance, but even after postage I still made a hair over spot price. I doubt you will always do this well. I'm guessing the person who bought mine is probably collecting silver in the hopes that the price will go a lot higher. If you use ebay, don't make my mistake (I actually knew better) by not calculating in the price of shipping insurance. I got the insurance but it came out of my own pocket. You always want shipping insurance, and it doesn't cost very much.

12. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

Did you factor out the ebay and pay pal fees as well?

I've not been able to figure out how people deal in metal on ebay. it sells for more than I can buy it at a lcs in most cases so no point in buying. as a seller on the other hand, by the time all the fees are out you are getting less than spot in most cases.

exceptions to every rule and I have got some deals off the bay.

13. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Actually no, but I was just selling them to come up with a little cash. Been a rough month. lol I actually started the bid well below the spot price of silver and was surprised when I got what I was asking plus half of that again. I was guessing on the shipping but forgot about the insurance, which wasn't much anyway.

14. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Come on guys, Keep this going~

15. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Yes, I see that some people refer to the Silver Roosevelts (1946-1964) as roosies, as in I found a roosie today... [and I did --- a 1964D]. That's ok in reporting finds in coin searching, but in general, I use the term Roosie (or Rosie, whatever) to refer to the entire series, as I like them and collect them. So if I say I found some really nice looking roosies, I might be referring to finding some clad ones that were MS.

Either or.

16. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Valuable tip: be really nice to the tellers at the banks you get coins from, as well as the ones you dump at. If they don't like you, they can either subvert your hobby, or stop it outright by refusing to deal with you or by attaching fees to the front or back ends --- i.e. charging you for each box you order or charging a fee for taking in rolled coins or in the machines. Or they may suggest you pay for a business account to have certain privileges. It might be ok with you, but you could incur lots more costs with transportation in finding a bank that doesn't give you grief.

I have been taking someone else's tips given on CT and last Christmas gave out eight 5-dollar Starbucks cards to tellers, etc. Also the bank I dump at asked me to support their Junior Achievement drive, by buying either a 1, 5, or 10 dollar 'card'. I chose the 5 dollar one. I also took out two SDB's there. My main bank I get coins at I opened a second account and am super nice to them. Also one of the tellers collects world coins - I give her some I find in coin searching....she mainly just wants to get one from each country. Last coin show, I went to one of the booths and bought 12 coins for a dollar. I gave her two from countries I didn't give her before.....Shhhhhhh! she thinks I found them! They don't mind me taking CWRs.

I also gave a special 5$ Starbucks card to the teller that said I should take a particular box of cents. Turned out that box (which he said was turned in by a waiter, but who knows????) gave me my 1999 WAM, which is currently being conserved/graded by NCS/NGC.

Which kind of customer service do you provide to the tellers/bankers???? (see below)

images (1).jpg

17. lukeauggie

lukeauggie Member

What I do every now and then is buy cookies or treats for the tellers. It makes them happy, especially if I find some good coins.

18. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

So you guys just waltz in the door and give them cookies and / or gift cards and no one (the boss) gets angry?

19. lukeauggie

lukeauggie Member

nope. They know who I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted