FAQ for Newbies to Roll Searching

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Melina, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Ok everyone - we need a thread like this! Post up some good FAQ Questions and answers here! I'll take the best ones and put them into this (the top) post so hopefully one day this can be a sticky!

Question: What is CWR and BWR?
    Answer: CWR means Customer Wrapped Roll, and BWR is Bank Wrapped Roll

Question: What do of Boxes of Coins cost?
    Answer: Halves - $500, Quarters - $500, Dimes - $250, Nickels - $100, Pennies - $25

Question: Which coins are Silver?
    Answer: 1964 and before Quarters, Dimes, and Halves are 90% Silver. 1965-1970 halves are 40% silver. Nickels 1942-1945 are silver, although some of the 1942 nickels are not. Clarify by seeing if there is a large mintmark above the dome on the reverse. You can also find
    silver proofs, as well as the bicentennial coins in silver, and some older Canadian coins are also silver.

Question: Can I turn in my coins at the same bank I got them at?
    Answer: Don't dump where you eat! Most consider it bad Etiquette to turn in coins to the same poor teller that had to haul them out for you. It is also counter productive as it greatly increases the odds you will receive the same coins next time.

Question: What is a Roosie?
    Answer: a Roosevelt Dime. The term is most commonly used to refer to silver roosevelt dimes.​

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Don't forget that you can find modern-day silver proofs, as well as the bicentennial coins in silver. ;) Canadian silver as well.

4. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

Don't forget the nickels. 1942 to 1945 war nickels are silver.

Can I turn in my coins at the same bank I got them at?
    Don't dump where you eat! Most consider it bad Etiquette to turn in coins to the same poor teller that had to haul them out for you. It is also counter productive as it greatly increases the odds you will recieve the same coins next time.

What is a Roosie?
    a roosevelt dime.

5. Merc Crazy

I'd clarify that a Roosie is typically a silver roosevelt dime, at least that's what I use it for.

6. papermoney54

papermoney54 Coin Collector

which boxes are best for searcxhing for silver

7. Merc Crazy

In my experience, it goes as follows;

Halves
    Dimes
    Nickels
    Quarters
    Cents

That's for OZ of silver per $1k searched... If you're worried about time as well, I'd bump quarters ahead of nickels, but keep everything else the same.

8. Mvandemark

Mvandemark Ignorant know it all

I turn my coins in at my bank because they don't charge a fee for it. I usually buy some rolls from them just because the tellers like to know what I've found from their rolls (very small bank). I then go around town and hit the other 3 banks and buy rolls at each until I have all that I need for that batch. So far I've only had 1 bank out of town at a Wal-Mart give me any hassle about buying rolls, they wanted to charge me $0.06 per roll of pennies. Luckily it was around Christmas and the head teller felt generous and waived the fee.

I've tried to order boxes through my bank but they say they won't do it. I didn't want to push to much as I have a great rapport with all the tellers. I still haven't asked at the other banks in town if they will/can and if they will charge a fee.

9. AUtiger

AUtiger New Member

Some tips on how to dump might be helpful for the new folks as well. The hassle of dumping is really what is holding me back from increasing my search amounts each week. I opened a checking account at TD because they have a coin counter that's free for customers, but the dang thing is out of service every other week. It also doesn't take halves smoothly, so I always have to get a teller to open the machine and stand there with me as I'm dumping. So far they've been very cool about it, but there's no doubt it's a pain for them and I haven't gotten past feeling bad about it yet.

10. Merc Crazy

I got past feeling bad about dumping halves at TD a lonnnnnnng time ago. Have to change the bag every $100, well that aint my fault, you can adjust that if you want. Once you get a good rapport going with the tellers, you can work the machine while they change the bags, I can usually cash in $1k in under 5 minutes that way.

11. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Keep posting those QandA's!

If any of you guys have some time and would like to write a "guide" I'd post that as well... some ideas:
    Ideas for Guides:
    Guide to Searching: Pennies
    Guide to Searching: Nickels
    Guide to Searching: Dimes
    Guide to Searching: Quarters
    Guide to Searching: Halves
    What to ask a teller at a bank
    Best ways to store your finds/silver
    Dump Bank rules - Don't eat where you... you know.
    Etc.

12. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Why can't I edit my original post? It won't give me the option to :(

13. fahlim003

fahlim003 Member

My question is this, can you walk into any bank without an account and proceed to buy rolls and or boxes? In Canada you can do this to a certain degree, less than $250 can be bought without having an account. How is it in the US?

14. SSchus87

SSchus87 New Member

I started dumping at my credit union (free with account) and started sensing some grief from the tellers when I dumped halves. Their bags only hold $1000 and since I dump $500 at a time, the chances were 50/50 that they were going to have to change a bag for me. They started getting grumpy about it. Then I noticed a box of candy bars on their back counter and inquired what they were selling them for. It was for a good cause and they asked me if I wanted to buy one. I told them I could not each chocolate since I am diabetic (true) but I would buy 10 of them and donate the money/candy bars to such a worthy cause. I just asked that they doled out the candy bars to someone who they felt would like one. They were ecstatic. I have not had a problem dumping there since. Best $10 I have ever spent!!!

15. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

I think you can only make a certain number of changes before it stops letting you :(

we can let the thread run for a while and then compile a new one once we have a good list.

16. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

What is an Ender, Bender, Wender?
    Ender -
    Any silver coin on the end of a roll (40%er, 1964 Kennedy, Roosie, War nickel, Mercury Dime)
    Bender - Ben Franklin half on the end of the roll
    Wender - A Walking Liberty half on the end of a roll

HOTN

17. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

^ Great addition.

Keep them all coming! When the thread gets large with questions and answers, I'll make a new thread that compiles all of these wonderful Q&A's so that it can be used as a sticky for newbies! :D

18. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

Did you check with the admins here to see if there is a way to go back and edit the original post at anytime? I have a couple of thread ideas where I'll need to go back and edit.

19. Merc Crazy

Kender = '64 Kennedy on the end of a roll.
    Lil' Kender = 40% silver kennedy on an end.

20. morbidsteve

morbidsteve New Member

My question is where are you guys picking up rolls and boxes of halves and dollars? In Michigan and north Carolina, everywhere I go they don't have them.

21. Merc Crazy

Rolls are tough to find here, it's all about finding them before others. I know MI has a lot of roll searchers, at least that's what I've heard. Boxes, you'll have to ask for, and then retrieve after the order comes in. So just walk up to the teller; "I would like to order x box(es) of half dollars. :)"

Draft saved Draft deleted