FANTASY, Large Iron-Core Silver-Plate Chinese Coin: Anyone Seen One Like It?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wlwhittier, May 22, 2019.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Peripheral Member

This was a gift from a friend who had 'invested' in 37 fake iron-core Chinese coins...many Fat-Man & similar others.

This was the only large one in the batch: 50mm X ~2.4mm; 33grams, reeded edge.
    I've never seen one like it, and wonder how common they may be.

An interesting detail (there are several others) is the 'shadow' INCE at the end of FEN-TIEN PROV. It has an odd cross-hatch pattern over it.

I can't read anything but the cobbled English letters of course...are there any of you who can make out what the rest of he characters say?

Thanks! wlw

fullsizeoutput_5636.jpeg fullsizeoutput_5635.jpeg fullsizeoutput_5634.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

My guess is something partially scraped them off - the INCE. Notice how the lines are only on the raised letters - not the fields. Whether that was intentional or accidental - no idea. But the same thing apparently happened to the beaded ring in the same area, but to a lesser extent. For the most part the beads are just flattened out.

4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Just did a Google search on this type of coin. Said to have only one piece made, as a sample coin in 1903. The Chinese characters on the reverse side basically said the same thing correspondingly on the “dragon” side. The word “Sanvlpe” instead of “sample” quite spell out it is a copy, imho.

wlwhittier likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted