Fantasy coin from Germany

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Thalermaniac, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Thalermaniac

Thalermaniac New Member

Hi Everybody! Need some help identifying large cooper klippe medal vs coin from Germany. Size 3 x 3 inches, weight 125.1 g. Obverse portrayed Duke of Saxony on horseback - looks like 4 Talers 1657, Davenport 396 (Commemorative of Dresden convention 0n April 22 1657 after the death of the Johan George father). Revers looks like arms of Nuremberg by Flotner with initials V.F. Under 16 x magnification looks like skillfully made cast - high quality piece. The question is - could it be fantasy coin by Lauer vs kipperthaler (gift taler)?? Any suggestions of references?? Thanks in advance!! Sincerely, Slava M.

http://i.imgur.com/btB9G12.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mpxH8Ug.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Thalermaniac

Thalermaniac New Member

Also I am not sure what initials " V. F." means..... Any thoughts??

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Is V.F. on your medal? Or do you mean in grading?
    VF.JPG

5. paddyman98

Oops sorry.. I just read your post more carefully :oops:
    V.F. is Vestner Fecit

6. paddyman98

Also Felgenhauer used V.F.
    VF2.JPG

7. Thalermaniac

Thalermaniac New Member

Thanks a lot for your response! You are right! V.F. in this particular case stands for Vestner Fecit. This piece made from two different dies. The obverse is from the dies of the Lauer strike for the 4 Taler of Saxony Vicariat copy (19 Century). The reverse is from the obverse dies of a medal of Georg Wilhelm Vestner struck in 1723 to commemorate the first century of the Altdorf University (Bernheimer 204). This klippe is probably made by Lauer Nuremberg, combining two older dies for a trial strike. Are any collectors of Lauer's work who might be interested in this peice?

Jason Hoffpauir and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted