Fans of Ancient Warfare Magazine?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jwt708, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! Just curious if anyone out there is a fan of Ancient Warfare magazine? I'm quite fond of it myself. I haven't had a chance to really tear into the latest issue except for the article about the navies of the Ptolemies. In fact the theme of the issue is the Ptolemies with other articles covering topics like Barbarians in the Late Roman army, urban warfare in Alexandria, and with reviews of books.

I think anyone who likes the longer historical posts here would likely enjoy this magazine.

A coin to keep things legal:
    [​IMG]
    Ptolemy IV, BC 246-222
    AE41, 38.6mm; 12h
    Obv.: Bust of Zeus-Ammon right
    Rev.: ΠΤΟΛΣΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΣΩΣ; eagle standing left on thunderbolt, cornucopia tied with fillet before, ΔI between legs

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I hope you will post a synopsis of the article here, or at least interesting tidbits :)

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I "liked" them on my FB account some time ago. I get some cool article feeds that I read all the time. Some good stuff, agreed. I occasionally picked up a mag at B&N, it is always a good read. LOL, @TIF ... you aren't the Ancient Warfare type (at least on coins) from a prior post you made... :D be careful what you ask for! :D :D :D

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well sure! I'll do that later...I have chores to do first :(

The first magazine I bought had a couple articles about war elephants which are a huge interest of mine.

One article I really enjoyed was authors debating if PTSD as we understand it existed in ancient Greece. Good stuff.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hmm...maybe I should do that. I think I'm going to subscribe. Apparently they're going to release just an ancient history magazine and there is a medieval warfare one as well, but I've never read those.

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very true... that's why I'm hoping for a synopsis (I don't want to read the the entire article :D). Maybe there will be some interesting factoids :). I do like Ptolemaic bronzes...

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Ah, rats... I have been put on notice. No expressing my testosterone and going blood and guts on everything... Rats... no fun. Gosh, just like when I was a kid... :D :D :D I'm gonna go tell, I'm gonna get @Carthago in here...

Jwt708 and TIF like this.
  10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

That sound really neat, right in my wheelhouse. Is this an actual paper & ink mag or online read?
    Found website never heard of it before.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Alegandron likes this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

The articles usually include coins relevant to the topic.
    It's paper and ink.

Alegandron and Smojo like this.
  12. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Carthago like things that go boom!! :jimlad:

Pishpash, Jwt708 and Alegandron like this.
  13. Alegandron

LOL... Fell off my chair!

WRONG!
    Brought to you by...another Troll...

WAR COIN:
    RR Sergius Silas Quaestor 116-115 BCE Roma Severed Gaul Head S 163 Cr 298-1 Obv-Rev.jpg
    RR Sergius Silas Quaestor 116-115 BCE Roma Severed Gaul Head S 163 Cr 298-1

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Minucius Thermus Mf.jpg
    MINUCIUS THERMUS MF ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS MINUCIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Mars left
    REVERSE: Q*TERM*MF below two warriors in combat, one on left protecting a fallen man
    Struck at Rome, 103BC
    3.5g, 19mm
    Syd 592, Cr319/1

M SERGIUS SILUS.jpg
    M SERGIUS SILUS ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: EX S C ROMA *, head of Roma right
    REVERSE: horseman galloping left with sword & severed head held aloft, Q below horses leg, M SERGI below, SILVS in ex.
    Struck at Rome 116 BC
    3.66g, 18mm
    Syd 534, Cr286/1, Sergia 1

panzerman, Carthago, TIF and 6 others like this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Oh we're doing warfare types, eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Alegandron

RR Minicuis Thermus 103 BCE AR Den Mars 2 Warriors fighting fallen S 197 Cr 319-1 O-R.JPG
    RR Minicuis Thermus 103 BCE AR Den Mars 2 Warriors fighting fallen S 197 Cr 319-1

Sicily Mamertini 264-241 BCE AE Pentonkion Zeus Warrior Shield Spear Merc Samnites- Messana.JPG
    Sicily Mamertini 264-241 BCE AE Pentonkion Zeus Warrior Shield Spear Merc Samnites- Messana

17. Alegandron

And the REALLY hard one that I just found...
    Took me a few years of searching, and this is the best condition I could find...
    RR AE Quincunx 210 BCE Apollo P Dioscuri 5 pellets 6-96g RBW RARE Cr 99-4 Syd 309 S 910.JPG
    Roman Republic AE Quincunx 210 BCE Apollo Pi (control behind) / Dioscuri Lances Leveled 5 pellets 6-96g RBW RARE Cr 99-4 Syd 309 S 910

HEY @John Anthony I FINALLY found it! :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    panzerman, Theodosius, TIF and 5 others like this.
  18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I had no idea such a publication even existed. Now I will have to go buy it.

19. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Constantius II of Trier, 2 soldiers, 2 standards...

CSII gloria trdots 6.jpg

AE2 FH of Arles, also Constantius II...

fh arles 6.jpg

panzerman, Jwt708, Theodosius and 5 others like this.
  20. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I signed up for a digital subscription to Ancient Warfare. I'll let you know how it is once I get one to read.

Theodosius likes this.
  21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Man...like two issues ago it was all about Republican Rome. I was reading it when I was back at the Academy. I really think most of the members here would enjoy it - I know I do.

@TIF I've only slowly digested the current issue but I did read the article on the Ptolemaic navy...tomorrow-ish I'll give a brief rundown for you or anyone else interested.

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted