Fancy Serial Number… HELP

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Strik9, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Strik9

Strik9 New Member

I’m trying to ‘correctly identify’ and label this serial number but am not having any success. Perhaps, a “triple consecutive bookend” Seriously though, is there a separate classification for this sort of ‘fancy serial number’?

On a side note: I am not really a fan of collecting paper money and I certainly am not the type who believes every odd serial number will net hundreds of dollars on Ebay. And yes, I am aware of the condition of the bill.

*I also understand that the ‘coolness index/factor’ is meaningless; nonetheless, a score of 99.08% tells me that there’s SOMETHING unique to this bill… right?

DB0750B7-F776-44F6-835C-AF4D6D1297AC.jpeg
    64CB3406-12A1-4F6F-9326-981FDD0F5B02.jpeg

techwriter and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Definitely Cool in my book! Worth saving or selling. ;)

Strik9 likes this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

No real name, just interesting.

paddyman98, Strik9 and Notaphylic_C like this.
  5. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

The 1st part is correct (coolness factor is meaningless). What you make of it, is up to you. If:
    -If you're not a fan of collecting paper money then you should probably spend it. If I had some circulated notes with repeaters or radars I would not trade that note b/c it doesn't impress me. I wouldn't give you FV for it. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh but 99% of "broken ladders" & so-called fancy # on SM are not a big deal.

I have seen some of the Reddit channels where users pump up everything (& recommend grading/selling regular stuff). Its nice that there's these passionate fans of currency but the downside is that there's misinformation & recommendations that I would never condone. So many of these opinionated individuals have never sold online & have never sucked up the sellers' fees. I think the worst of them are the ones who claim a poorly centred note "is a miss-cut error" (or something like that). Its always good to turn to the forums to get a bit of a different perspective.

Strik9 likes this.
  6. Strik9

Strik9 New Member

I don’t quite understand this point here. Would you please elaborate? As to your closing paragraph… spot-on!!!

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

More a Liar's Poker bill than a true collectible.

Strik9 likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

An interesting number but in reality, it’s nothing worth collecting. The magic marker on the top of the bill is damage so if you can afford to keep $20 than tuck it away. If not, spend it.

Strik9 likes this.
  9. Strik9

Strik9 New Member

I apologize if this doesn’t come out the way that so intend for it to — that is, without sarcasm or ingratitude (as I truly appreciate all of your comments) — but I was only interested in discovering if there was a certain name/specific way of describing this serial number pattern. I really have no interest in selling it, nor do I believe I’d get more than $1 over face value if in fact I did.

10. Strik9

Strik9 New Member

Great analogy!

11. Strik9

Strik9 New Member

Speaking of which… that brings me to my next off specimen:dead:

D19F7E59-120E-487C-A8A3-B8A559144E8A.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  12. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

- I just meant that the note wouldn't interest me (I can't see it as collectible). Others might but the circulated condition would probably eliminate several. I have kept a few circulated repeaters & radars in the past, but usually end up spending them. Nobody wants circulated examples. They'd have to be 2 digit, lots of zeros, or really tough to be saved &/or put into a sleeve. Special serial numbers should be in AU or better IMO.

I don't know a name for either serial number except, perhaps "fancy." I find it troublesome that I have seen collectors post comments like 'such & such serial number' is a "broken ladder." I have seen this term on SM but was hoping collectors wouldn't pick it up (but they have). Still don't know anyone who collects them (personally) but obviously there must be a few who do.

Strik9 likes this.
  13. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

14. Strik9

Strik9 New Member

Makes perfect sense to me. Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted