Famous New York antiquities (and ancient coins) dealer closes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Great display! Those pieces are in such great shape.

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I'm glad I got tagged in this thread because I needed a good laugh. I'm only responding because I thought the humor made it worth the effort. Really, @Lolli this made me laugh out loud. Thank you for defending my good name! If someone said I wasn't fit to sleep with dogs, I'm sure you would jump in to correct that as well!

Anyway, what you're missing here is that, over time, people build what is commonly referred to as a "reputation." You begin to trust or distrust individuals based on their pattern of behavior.

@DonnaML, those are absolutely phenomenal vessels, amazing!

octavius and DonnaML like this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks. Do you have to invite him back by tagging him? I was sort of hoping he was done here.

5. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

hehehehehe My bad, but i promise to learn from my mistake!

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I thought the photo I posted in the OP of the faience 26th Dynasty reclining lion was rather blurry, which I found annoying since it's one of my favorite pieces from any dealer. (My fondness for ancient coins depicting animals definitely extends to ancient artifacts!)

So here's another try. Maybe these are a little clearer in terms of being able to see the details:

Fainece lion R.jpg

Faience lion L 1.jpg
    Amulets like this are apparently pretty pricey these days, even though it's only 4.8 cm. long. Here's one currently on sale at a British gallery for £2,500 even though it "looks" smaller than mine (the dimensions seem to be omitted), and I don't think it's as nice regardless of price: https://store.barakatgallery.com/product/26th-dynasty-faience-amulet-of-a-jackal-copy/. [The url says jackal but it's definitely supposed to be a lion.] And here's a link to another one in the same gallery that looks about the same as mine; I don't think it's that much nicer: https://store.barakatgallery.com/product/26th-dynasty-faience-sculpture-recumbent-lion/ . But if you were to sign up and log in to see the price, all it says is "Price on Request." So presumably a lot more than £2,500. I paid considerably less (even at Royal Athena!), although of course that was almost 30 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Limes, Nemo and Johndakerftw like this.
  7. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I bought this Sestertius from Tom Cederlind. (OMG, I hope I'm not asked for documents of proof!); He was a very nice man who died way too early. I miss him and his catalogues.

And @DonnaML , your antiquities are just exquisite! Enjoy them and thanks for sharing.

RI5015.jpg

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted