Family portrait

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, May 2, 2015.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The dealer who provided this tried to talk me out of it because it was so worn but the fact remains I would never pay the going rate for a nicer one. The obverse is Vespasian. The reverse shows Titus and Domitian with the legend CAESAR AVG F COS CAESAR AVG F PR. This is the common Rome mint one. There are Eastern issues with legends calling the boys 'Liberi' which I would have preferred. This is the place to show your dynastic issues.
    0bb3266.jpg

Severatus, stevex6, Aidan_() and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Nice one Doug, I've been looking a long time for that type, just haven't found the right one yet.
    Here is a different variety of dynastic issue, one that rarely comes up for sale. Although rather worn, I was happy to get it. Vespasiancurulechair.jpg Vespasian, with Titus and Domitian, Caesars. 69-79 AD. AR Denarius (3.18 gm). Lugdunum mint, Struck 71 AD.
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG TR P; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: TITVS ET DOMITIAN CAESARES PRIN IVEN; Titus and Domitian left, on curule chairs, with branches
    RIC 1124, BMC 393, RSC 544

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Is take it I that shape too. Great addition Doug.

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

It's what I picture when I think of a good ancient coin. Cool addition Doug!

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very cool, i like family portrait coins.

this one is ugly, but it really is a family portrait.. step mom, dad, and kid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heraclius, heraclius constantine, and empress martina

zumbly, stevex6, Ancientnoob and 2 others like this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a lovely coin, Doug, nothing but honest wear. I can't imagine why the dealer would have tried to talk you out of it. That's some crappy salesmanship right there.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No, he was right. That coin will do nothing to attract dealers to circle my corpse in the hope of selling for my estate. Those who follow the current fad would pay more and expect better return from a mint state common denarius of Severus Alexander slabbed for your protection. The term 'honest wear' suggests you date back before ancients came in MS and AU. What is this? VG22?

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The investment collectors can have their party, and we can have ours. None of us are taking anything to the great unknown.

10. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Well I guess I am the only guy still willing to pay the boat man.

Draft saved Draft deleted