Family Heir Loom

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Phil Ham, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I found the attached coin in a box of other family heir looms. It is in poor condition, about the size of a quarter, weighs 7.0-grams, non-magnetic, and appears to be Greek or Roman. Can anyone give me some leads on identifying this coin? Unknown Coin #1 (2).JPG Unknown Coin #2 (2).JPG

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Roman - I think Maximianus. Probably get more answers in the Ancients section?

PS: With the L in the mint letters at the bottom could be London or Lugdunum (Lyons) depending on whether the letter following is an N or a G.

Phil Ham likes this.
  4. PaddyB

... As it happens I have a very similar coin on my desk at the moment, this one from Antioch mint:
    Maximianus 2.JPG Maximianus 1.JPG

Phil Ham and green18 like this.
  5. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

№ 2.
    GAL(erius) VAL(erius) MAXIMIANUS NOB(ilis) CAES(ar).

Emperor Galerius. Follis. Minted in Antiochia.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Phil Ham and PaddyB like this.
  6. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

№ 1.
    Galerius too.

Phil Ham likes this.
  7. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Thanks a million!

8. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The coin looks a lot like this one with the exception of LN in lieu of NT mint mark. I've looked on-line but having difficulty determining anything useful. Could it be London or Lyons mint mark suggested by PaddyB? Anything additional thoughts on the coin would be useful. I'm obviously not an expert on ancients.

10. PaddyB

The mintmark "aLN" would be London. where the "a" can be a number of different letters. If it was "aLG" it would be Lugdunum/Lyons.
    My reference is the "Roman Base Metal Coins" printed by Rotographic and available from Amazon. It is a slim and fairly basic work but will get you a long way with the majority of Roman base metal coins.

Phil Ham likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted