Familial Numismatic Pursuits

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Sep 18, 2018.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Maybe another interesting question. Have any of you included any family members in your collecting pursuits of coins? Spouse, significant other, children, grand children, etc? How has it worked out for you and/or them? I started my oldest son, soon to turn 40 when he was 11 or 12. He enjoyed it a lot until he left home and pursued life. He gathered a fairly impressive collection by the time he was 19 and even picked up a dozen gold U.S. quarter eagles, something I never pursued. I'm a silver type of guy. He told me recently to just combine our two collections because he knows he will be willed it all. Your thoughts?

Robert91791 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

My son (10) and daughter (8) is familiar but my son is the one who is interested and he is holding all quarters that I give him regardless.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I tried getting my sister involved when she was in middle school. She went to several shows with me throughout high school, and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. She dropped off in college though - but I'm hoping when she is older she'll find her collection and pick it back up.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Same with my daughter . . .

tommyc03 and Robert91791 like this.
  6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Yeah right. Not in my family. In fact I'm trying to market my knowledge of coins as an alternative to sleeping pills.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I became interested through an Uncle (by marriage) when I was a kid, and have been actively collecting since 1970 (I belonged to the local coin club in HS and would regularly go to shows when I was in college and even found out the basketball coach was a bust half collector). Neither of my parents were collectors nor my brother. And I could never interest any of my 3 kids. I'm the lone wolf collector

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    tommyc03, Kentucky and Robert91791 like this.
  8. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Tommy, I agree with your son's reasoning. I have a similar problem, two boys and a girl, none are interested, except for the girl Ummm ! maybe. I am 81 years old, what am I going to do with my hoard ? If I had an offer like you got from your son I would take it in a heart beat with the provision that I had access to the coins.

Dave

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well, my coins are willed to my wife. My silver stacks however are willed to be divvied up equally between my kids. I have some money tied up in my coins and have already set up and written out a deal for my wife to take the coins to a dealer freind for liquidation..... I do now have a five year old in the house that has shown an interest and I have gifted him a few coins that he has stored in his “special place”. He loves to look at my old gold coins with me. If that blossoms further I may be revising my will down the road.

10. physics-fan3.14

Holy geez, if my progeny told me that I would instantly respond that "No, they won't!"

If someone isn't interested in collecting, and just says they'll get it when I'm dead, why would I give it to them?

I've specified in my will that my collection should be sold and the proceeds donated to a numismatic organization.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

My only kid is 23 and he's an ANA-certified Exhibit Judge in World Coins, and owns one of the finest Soviet Union era Russian collections I know of in this country. He throws his "rejects" (Czarist era) to me. In U.S. material, he mostly collects Buffnicks, 2-cent pieces, and CN 3-cent pieces. USSR isn't tough to find in scuzzy condition, but nice pieces are kind of scarce.

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I tried with all my girls, but not one is interested in collecting........now I have a grandson.......fresh meat. :) Anyway, some say something like this skips a generation.

tommyc03 and ToughCOINS like this.
  13. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I have yet to meet anyone face to face, family or not, who shows the slightest interest in this hobby (outside of coin shows or coin events, of course). I never know exactly who to bring it up to, but when I've taken a chance in the past and mentioned it, I was almost always met with a blank stare or a slow and short shaking of the head. Someone even blurted "GEEK!" out loud in my face when I mentioned that I may actually have one or two... or maybe more... coins... that I've collected... I chose not to elaborate further following the outburst. So I've had absolutely wretched luck turning anyone on to this hobby. I've actually become a little afraid to bring it up at all.

Heavymetal, green18 and tommyc03 like this.
  14. Robert91791

Well, on Jan 2019 I'm planning to include some coins on my son and daughter birthdays. Everyone will give gifted with an Eisenhower Dollar and a pair of gloves. I will post a pick when it happens. I hope to turn more numismatics from these generation. I'm sure there will be at least 40 kids attending. I will also plan to get the parents involved.

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Oh, he's still interested, just has not been able to pursue it with as much passion as I have since he left home. Life gets in the way. He has no children but travels a lot and can not seem to find the time. He's still picking up an item here and there. He is my best bet not to see all of mine go away after all my and his previous hard work. My other son, 36, is a hard core blue collar worker who's hobbies include electronics ( building radios like CB, SSB and Ham ) and fixing lawn equipment that was discarded, for resale. Plus he averages 12 hour working days Mon.-Sat. so has little time for another hobby.

Robert91791 likes this.
  16. Robert91791

Hard Working Man.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I've joked with him that he should have a theme song..."Hard Workin' Man" by Brooks & Dunn.

Robert91791 likes this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

“Sharp Dressed Man”, ZZ Top.

tommyc03, Robert91791 and green18 like this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh blast, that needs to be posted.......

20. physics-fan3.14

Woof, that's everything that's the worst about the 80's. Ouch.

green18 likes this.
  21. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

I have three of my six that currently show some interest in coins. My second oldest daughter is into the Statehood and National Park quarters. I gave her an album to start filling. My two youngest daughters both have Kennedy albums they intend to fill as well as an error coin they each got from CONECA (they're 10 and 8 yo).

My 10yo is a CONECA member. Right now, she is taking the path on becoming fully educated on the minting process so she can submit a write-up to the ErrorScope on the 1973-D DDO-001 we found roll hunting months back.

So, I have at least one who is delving into numismatics, and probably will continue in it. She has some interesting tastes, however. She loves "black" coins. And, no...not mirrored proofs...actual blackened coins....

She saw one of my dark rainbow toned Kennedys and tried to claim it....wasn't having none of that! o_O

Draft saved Draft deleted