Falling horseman.. and ones a plate coin :D

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Feb 17, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I'm sure a couple of you may know I collect Fallen (falling) Horseman coins, since I modestly post so few FH.......... :D

Right now I'm searching for a few upgrades, and picked up this example from Heraclea to fill one of those spots. It's ex Failmezger. The coins is pretty glossy w/ some silvering, so my photo doesn't show the coin well.

IMG_2215 (1).JPG
    Constantius II
    351 AD
    Obverse: DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG, Pearl diademed draped cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO, Soldier spearing fallen horseman bearded, two braids, reaching , SMH Delta in ex., Gamma in left field
    22.76 mm 6.2 grams
    RIC VIII 82 Heraclea Failmezger 461 CS f
    ex Failmezger

The other coin, also ex Failmezger, is a plate coin in his book,"Roman Bronze Coins." To me the style of the seems some what of a cross between Aquileia and Lyons, but it's an imitation so I guess that doesn't matter much.

IMG_2229.JPG
    Constantius II imitation (Failmezger, Plate coin)

Obverse: DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG, Long-necked diademed cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: Blundered legend, soldier spearing fallen horseman, Phrygian helmet, sitting on ground, arm(s) up, II left.
    Size: 23.49 mm 6.g
    Failmezger 462aCS (This Coin)

Both are nice and chunky coins that fit nicely into my collection, and I'm happy to have a plate coin as well.

Doug wrote a great review on Failmezger's book, as well and being the photographer for the book, which can be found here:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/vf.html

Please feel free to share you Falling Horseman or plate coins

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

geki => congrats on the two sweet FH-additions (the imitation is pretty cool)

randygeki likes this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice coins Randy - I always like a barbarous FH. That it's a plate coin is gravy on the cake! I very much want Failmezger's book, but I am loathe to pay $160 for it (currently the cheapest on amazon), when it originally sold for $50, and at least one sold recently on vcoins for $35. I'll wait until I find the skinflint's version. Doug will respect me for that.

Jwt708 and randygeki like this.
  5. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Great fallen horseman Randy!! I like them both. Congrats! I have no pics of the one I have.

randygeki likes this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Mmmmm... Gravy on cake...

7. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed.

randygeki likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great stuff, Randy. I like the imitation best.

randygeki likes this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks all. Thanks to a tip, I got the book on ebay for cheap a while back. No CD though.

10. John Anthony

Well ask and you shall receive! A big thank you to Randy for finding this one for me on eBay - for whatever reason, my searches didn't find it. AND it's signed by Failmezger. Now all I need is for Doug to sign it and it'll be worth a million bucks! :greedy:

zumbly and randygeki like this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

solid LRB for RG! i'd like to get a cool but large imitative FH like your second coin, on my list!

randygeki likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

462aCS.jpg

Your coin reminds me a lot of this one. :)

You joke. So far there is exactly one copy of the book signed by both Victor and the photographer. Demand for that last one has been underwhelming. Is yours signed Victor or Tory?

14. John Anthony

Apparently both? This is edited from the auction pic. I'll take a better image when I have it in hand...

s-l1600.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The CD is only about 300 MB including my website copy as it existed that year. I do not even have a copy with the printed label but have the photos if anyone else has the book and would like the image for the coin you own.
    Mine is just Tory and has the date 3/28/03. I took those photos with one leg elevated over my heart level due to a recent surgery. That explains why the images look like the photographer was laying down on the job.

16. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice FH coins, never got around to getting one. I may have to add one to my collection sometimes down the road.

randygeki likes this.
  17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Great coins @randygeki So far all my fallen horsemen coins have come from uncleaned lots and they're not much to look at. I really want to get me one of the barbarous types though. I've also added this book to my want list.

randygeki likes this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Mines the same, but personalized to"Angel?"

19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Which pic do you think represents the coin better? Mine doesn't show the green as well, or the earthen highlights as well either. But it's a little darker in hand. I like your pic better

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have not seen the coin for 15 years, do not remember it at all and have no idea. Mine could be too light because light will print better on paper. Have you compared the coin to the reproduction in the book?

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I have. My pic is close to how dark is but it's a more dark green in hand, not black as mine seems

Draft saved Draft deleted