Fakes?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Nov 9, 2018.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

My son sent me some coin pics of coins sent to the coin shop where he works. I think they look too grainy. Taken as a group I guessed cast fakes -> do not make an offer. Your thoughts...

coin 1, a wolf and twins LRB
    a2.jpg
    a1.jpg

I am not familiar with this one -
    b2.jpg b3.jpg
    b1.jpg

I do not know this either, maybe a Tiberius Provincial?
    c1.jpg c2.jpg

The last
    d1.jpg d2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Marsyas Mike, Pellinore and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

They look OK to me, here's a pic of my tetradrachma:

P1170140.JPG

Marsyas Mike and Bing like this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The graininess on the first and third bronze coins is probably due to corrosion and the harsh cleaning that it took to remove it. The middle bronze is definitely not cast--what would be the point? I can't say anything certain about the silver coin. I do see some tiny circular bubbles on the reverse to the left of the A in the middle of Alexander, but I don't think that's enough evidence to condemn the coin. Perhaps much of the coin was covered in that black stuff you see in places on the reverse (silver nitrate?) and chemically removed, leaving the grainy surface.

5. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

The second coin is a Porcius Festus (AD 59-62) AE prutah, certainly real and worth plus or minus $5. Third is Herod III Antipas. 4 BCE-39 CE. Æ Half Unit, Tiberias mint, date is RY 24 (20/1 CE) and it also looks legit to me. This one might be worth a couple hundred bucks.

rrdenarius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree with others. Look real, but surface issues due to soil with each. I have quite a number of similar coins in my junk piles.

Draft saved Draft deleted