Fakes Worth More than Originals

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I'm just curious. Aside from the HENNING NICKEL, are there other counterfeits out there that, as counterfeits, are worth more than the original? Keep in mind that I'm not referring to counterfeits passing as originals, but rather counterfeits that are worth more because they are known counterfeits.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Medussa

Medussa Silver

OldSilverDollar and Eric the Red like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Omegas

H8_modern likes this.
  5. JeffC

Thanks very much for the link. However, I was mainly curious about known fakes that command more money than the original, not fakes that passes as an original. In other words, for the Henning Nickels, people deliberately pay more because they know that it's a counterfeit, not because they mistook it for an original.

I was just curious to know if there are other such cases.

6. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Paduan medals by Giovanni Cavino, which are Renaissance forgeries of ancient coins, often command prices equal to or greater than the roman coins they're imitating. Of course, adding another level of complication is that only struck paduans (that is to say, original counterfeits) command high premiums. Cast paduans, which are in a way counterfeit counterfeits, are relatively common and not nearly as valuable. Here is a write up I posted a few years ago about them https://www.cointalk.com/threads/struck-paduan.326607/

7. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Actually worth at least twice what a real VF 1833 half would bring...even with the hole.

Attached Files:

8. JeffC

Thanks for the link. I know absolutely nothing about ancients, so it should be an interesting read.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  9. JeffC

Wow. Why so?

OldSilverDollar and NOS like this.
  10. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

OldSilverDollar and JeffC like this.
  11. JeffC

Thanks. I didn't even know there was such a thing.

12. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

There are many German States minor silver contemporary counterfeits (primarily Prussian) that were identified by the various major banks at the time, and countermarked with a number of 'official' punches reading "FALSCH." Especially when found on convincing fakes, these pieces can achieve dozens of times the value of the underlying type (they tend to be common types).

British circulating counterfeits can be worth as much if not more than originals (although many are worth less). For instance, die struck, low silver content 1873 Florins are traceable back to a specific ring, and command substantial premiums. There are even some 1860s Half-Crowns of correct weight and content which are likely the product of a dip in silver prices whose status experts are still arguing over which achieve high prices indeed, regardless of their nature. Finally, there are both evasion and counterfeit coppers from the reigns of the Georges that can achieve many times the value of a 'regal' copper (particularly the Machin Mills counterfeits) - these are collected by type.

There are Polish counterfeits of circulating coin and banknotes produced by the AK (Home Army) to destabilize the economy of the GG (German occupation government) during the Second World War, and these can be worth 100x or more the value of regular issues of the same type, and are actively collected by type.

There are many more examples, but these are the first that come to mind for me.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Many contemporary circulating counterfeits will bring more that the real coins.

OldSilverDollar, JeffC and norantyki like this.
  14. JeffC

Thank you. I'll need to Google to see what they look like. Thanks.

15. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

The authentic coin has its own supply demand, and counterfeits have their own. If its a famous counterfeit, and the original is not that rare, its very easy for the counterfeit to be worth more. I would trade a lot of authentic 1944 nickels for a Henning. Its a cool if weird story, losing money to make fake nickels.

JeffC and OldSilverDollar like this.
  16. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

That guys history is worthy of a big screen movie.

17. baseball21

Did they ever figure out who it actually was

18. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

Still a mystery and even today who ever it was might still be cranking them out. who knows how many die sets got dug up and what coins today might be getting a passing grade at a TPG.:nailbiting:

19. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

I thought they were pretty sure that it was a (now deceased) dentist from Frankfurt...

20. baseball21

If it was even just one person, seems there had to be a lot more to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted