Fake!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ardatirion, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

We throw that word around so casually on this forum. Consider this...:

As counterfeits consistantly circulated on par with official issues in the ancient world, these designations cab be particularly important. They can also be cheaper and easier for the modern collector to acquire. Consider the first coin I posted, an as of Tiberius, with the seated figure of Livia and POTEST XXIIII. The original does not appear in RIC or the British Museum but is, however, cited by the 19th century French cataloger Cohen. (Cohen 19) Modern numismatists question the existance of this coin. Even an imitation of the piece is exceedingly rare.

Another class of possible counterfeits are the "limes" denarii.These coins were likely minted for circulation among troops at the frontier, to be exchanged for regular silver upon their return. They are made of bronze and often mismatch legends and titles of official coins. Perhaps the best part of these coins is that they tend to be CHEAP! Consider the Septimius Severus limes denarius I attached, its at least VF, possibly EF. A genuine denarius would cost $80 or $90 in that condition, with that centering. But this one cost me only $7.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. acl864

acl864 Senior Member

Interesting- I don't have $80 or $90 for a coin purchase right now, but I might could swing $7 or so for a beauty like that! Thanks for the info.

Andy

4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

5. Ardatirion

Thanks for the comments! How about another one?

Caracalla, AD 211-217
    AR Denarius - 19mm, 4.15g
    unofficial mint, c. 212 AD
    laureate bust r.
    ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM
    Annona seated l., holding wheat ears over modius in r. hand, cornucopia in l.
    P M TR P XV COS III P P
    ancient imitation, mule

"It is an ancient imitation, as style and composition show. That explains the hybrid titulature, GERM on obv. but only TR P XV on rev.
    Rev. appears to be P M TR P XV COS III P P, Annona seated l., holding wheat ears over modius in r. hand, cornucopia in l. " - Curtis Clay

Attached Files:

6. Ardatirion

and one more, recently acquired. This one for $6.50.

Caracalla
    AE limes denarius – 2.9g, 20mm
    Rome?, c. 226 AD
    ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT
    laureate bust r.
    MONETA AVG
    Moneta standing l., holding scale and cornucopia
    RIC 224 (silver denarius)

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted