Fake seller thread

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gentlemaninpa, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Jinx...doh! You beat me to it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

patinating it just 1 part. you gotta make the coin- have it look genuine there- use the right metal, have it pitted( is there a solution to create cracks and pits?

and like i said even if you use a solution, how do you duplicate 3 shades of corrosion so convincingly? many of my coins have dark brown, brown, green, dark green , even blueish green. I can imagine its alot of work making it look just right.

I mean maybe im wrong but can you give me some examples?

4. Ryro

Cracks and pits would be pretty darn easy to make. With all due respect, you may want to research this a little instead of just typing your thoughts.

TIF and Victor_Clark like this.
  5. Ryro

Google my friend. I would do it for ya but have 2 dirty baby butts to change.:yuck:

6. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

7. Ryro

Ok. Bums clean. Good read. Ty. Though it makes the same point I am trying to about not assuming. But here is one of many articles to my point. 3rd paragraph down. They are making fake Constantius ii, Constans and Valens. Some of the most common and inexpensive coins out there...and raking in thousands! It's a business and, unfortunately for us, business is booming for them.

http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-fakes.htm

8. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

interesting read-ty.

9. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

This is from the sellers description of one their coins
    Does eBay require you give your phone number to seller if you want to return an item?

10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Pellinore and Jay GT4 like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I believe just the opposite is true.

Creating a coin that looks worn, or artificially aging a fake, is a very common practice intended to camouflage signs of the coin being fake.

Also, and importantly, high grade coins are more likely to pass through the hands of experts who are far more likely to detect inauthenticity.

While fakes can be found in every cost bracket of this hobby, the bread and butter of fraudsters seems to be the low end coins which can be foisted onto eBay customers who lack adequate experience to know the difference and who assume that there is inadequate profit to be made faking low-end coins. It's much harder to produce a fake that is good enough to pass through ancient coin auction houses undetected.

Many of the examples linked in the first post of this thread fall into another category altogether. They are so bad, so poorly done (style-wise, particularly), that they may not have been produced with the intent to deceive but as tourist trinkets. It is unfortunate that such coins often end up on eBay, sold to uneducated buyers by unscrupulous sellers such as the notorious "noahs_ark_usa".

It is easy to artificially age a coin.

Yes, it is worth their time and it's why there is an abundance of low-end fakes on eBay.

Some fakes are struck (or pressed) rather than cast, so flan cracks alone do not ensure authenticity. Some fakes are even struck onto ancient coin culls, so the metal may be correct.

Tooling, when present, is generally found on coins which are authentic, not on fakes (unless by "tooling" you mean modification of a wax intermediary prior casting a fake made from an authentic coin).

Yes, here are some examples: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=55135.0;all

The coins shown there are all modern fakes. Notice the very realistic multi-hued patinas, flan cracks, etc.

Here's another illuminating Forum thread showing some more fakes of common coins:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=53852.0

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  12. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I will trot out this image again. I put this montage together (click to enlarge) which was a sample of the coins for sale from a single dealer. I just picked out single examples of coins from his offerings to illustrate the die linkages.

[​IMG]

These are created (apparently struck) from modern dies. As a result you don't get matching flans etc. as with casts. You get flan cracks as you would on other struck coins. I have even seen some where they were tumbled in Rock tumblers to create artificial wear.

Some coins are then silvered. Some are chemically toned. Some have a mix of the above and are then encrusted with dirt and then thrown in with uncleaned coin batched to salt them.

These were being sold into the uncleaned supply chain at around Eur 5 each. The cost of production, even including the chemical toning, dirt application must mean that even this Eur 5 is worth the effort. At one point they were being offered to dealers in batched of 1,000.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Curtisimo, TIF, Ryro and 1 other person like this.
  14. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

do you think these are convincing? I havent been doing this that long and i already can kinda tell they are fake. the flag and the flag pole for one- totally not genuine.

talk about a red flag LOL

15. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I would be very interested to hear how you have come to this conclusion so rapidly. These are good enough in isolation to fool many as they are created (proably hubbed) from real coins. They have been greedy and mixed dies from different mints and across emperors. A correctly paired coin in isolation is much more convincing. They do not feel quite right in hand though.

Curtisimo, Ryro, Victor_Clark and 3 others like this.
  16. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

ignore that- i copied and pasted the wrong link. sorry.

17. Ryro

Are you intentionally spamming us? This kind of stuff is not allowed!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2018
  18. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

whoops sorry. i posted the wrong link

i tried to delete the reply but there doesnt seem to be an option for that. Is there a delete button im missing here?

19. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

20. Ryro

I'm no expert and I'm out. Don't let the door hit ya...

21. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

it was an accident okay? geesh

i was sending a link to a friend and i copied the wrong link

Draft saved Draft deleted