Fake seller thread

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gentlemaninpa, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

Deacon Ray and Alegandron like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yep, those are pretty egregious :D. You'll find this seller of fakes named on Forum Ancient Coins' "Notorious Fake Sellers List", a massive list that is actively updated. For others who may not be aware of this list, it is a must-check if you buy coins on eBay, particularly if you are new to the hobby. The site's owner plus hundreds of active members are constantly on the lookout for sellers of fakes, and they have a process for adding new names to that list.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18502.0

CoinTalk's @Valentinian (Warren Esty) also maintains a Fakes Seller database:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/fakesellers.html

His site is a rabbit's warren full of useful information for ancient coin collectors, from beginners to advanced in experience. Well worth exploring :)

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

But "this is not a coin store, these were handed down from great uncle Tess who gave all of them individual names...God bless you" (sarcasm)

Mernskeeter, Theodosius and TIF like this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Read his comments...before they remove it (WHY) check this one out

Detailed item information is not available for the following items because the Feedback is over 90 days old.
    [​IMG] This comment has been removed by eBay. Learn more. Buyer:
    v***0 ( 1310[​IMG])
    During past 6 months [​IMG]
    • Reply by noahs_ark_usa (Nov-11-17 18:58):
      he robbed us&cheats the IRS,so his daughter lost her job at Viacom/ iz dbaGlobal
    Ancient Greece Sicily Trade Coin 470 BC & 2 AD Copper Bronze Bird Camel *New Era (#201954877482) US $36.00

6. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Wow. Not only is this seller selling fakes, it looks like they are making threatening phone calls to buyers and their family members. Isn't that illegal? Can't eBay do something about that? The seller even admits they are doing this in his negative feedback.

7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

These replica collections are often sold in museum gift shops.

replicas.jpg

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  8. Jbruce

Jbruce Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray likes this.
  9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Ponterio & Associates is reputable and trustworthy

Ryro likes this.
  10. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

"Looks too good" is about the worst possible reason to doubt the authenticity of an ancient coin. There are many beautiful relatively unworn coins out there. Just because a coin is old doesn't mean it has to be worn or corroded.

Volodya, TypeCoin971793, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  11. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

but that is also why even the most reputable and trustworthy sellers may sell a fake coin from time to time. "Looking too good" doesnt mean all are fakes, but the chances are much higher than a worn coin.

natural tarnish and corrosion isnt easy to duplicate, and the question of "is it worth it for the fake seller to do all this just to get a measly 10 or 20 bucks if they artificially age the coin"? is still interesting.
    The answer is clearly no- its just not practical.

This is why i prefer coins with clear age on them. They are cheaper and are less likely to be a fake. Nothing is guaranteed- but id run with better odds.

12. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

That's true, but reputable and trustworthy sellers will refund a buyer if issues arise.

Ryro likes this.
  13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Sadly, I've seen fake 3rd and 4th century coins that get sold for a buck. When they pay a nickel on the fake common coin and get a dollar our two they are making money. And to your point they fly under the radar.
    Your point is good. But the answer is not clearly No. It IS practical. And the answer is yes. Beautiful Nero btw. Glad it isn't too good to be true. Thanks for standing up for Ponterio @Deacon Ray :)

Kentucky likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If you read the text of his offerings and still buy, you get what you deserve. If you fail to read what he posted and bid, you get what you deserve. Some people just beg to be cheated even if they are told they are being taken. Is there any question here?

15. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

that is true but i would rather not go through that song and dance of having to return it- id rather buy a genuine coin and be done with it :)

I mean thinking about this logically ( as i have from time and again) is it REALLY going to be worth all the effort for some fake seller to somehow form 2-3 shades of corrosion( brown, dark brown, green, etc) not to mention all the scarring ( that has to look old which isnt easy) and all the pitting onto a coin? I mean its like the say "time is money" If a fake seller is going to go through all that time, materials and effort just to fool you, they are the ones who are equally losing out there. A fake seller would have to ask for alot of money for it to be worth it to them.Its not like some cheap solvent or some machine can instantly and cheaply make a coin look uniquely and genuinely aged here to fool a person with at least half a brain.

16. Ryro

Again, the answer is yes. Sadly, they are out there doing it and not just to the "fancy" coins, that I'm sencing some resentment towards (this coming from me a certified po boy). They spend a lot of time making fake corrosion, patina, dents dings, you name it. This is why it is important for us to know what to look for on all types. And not just say, "looks beautiful..it's a fake!"
    And they fool people with a lot more than "half a brain". It's 2018. Technology and techniques advance for the cheats as well as the good guys.

Theodosius, Kentucky, Jay GT4 and 2 others like this.
  17. Victor_Clark

You can buy products, like Jax, to chemically patinate coins, which comes in several colors, including brown and green.

31E60bMTL6L.jpg

31S+dB4JJoL.jpg

Theodosius, TIF and Ryro like this.
  18. Ryro

A pint of that junk is 20 bucks on Amazon. And I'll bet they spent enough time on their product that it would pull one over on more than just a couple idiots. And could probably cover a lot of fake old coins with just 1 pint.

19. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

Right- is it worth spending 20 bucks just to sell a 5-10 dollar coin?!

20. Victor_Clark

that small bottle will patinate hundreds and hundreds of coins.

Ryro likes this.
  21. Ryro

I don't think you read my full post. Think of how many coins you could fake with that bottle. It's a pint! I would guess hundreds or thousands. Yeah, they are making a lot of money.

Draft saved Draft deleted